Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Need some insight/education

  1. #1

    Default Need some insight/education

    I am 46 years old and just starting wearing contacts last fall. I am wearing Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear. I am wearing monovision contacts with contact lenses in both eyes. Before that, I wore only over-the-counter readers for working on the computer and reading and no vision correction otherwise but noticed that my vision at night seemed to be getting worse, so I went in for a checkup and was prescribed these contacts after a few weeks was spent on adjusting the prescription. Here's what happened: The original prescription was good except for reading. He tweaked the close-vision eye, but then my vision was made a lot worse otherwise, so I tried the original prescription again, and it was fantastic. I had been told in the beginning that I would probably need reading glasses even with the contacts, but with this 3rd set of sample lenses, I didn't even need glasses to read. They were great, so I went ahead and bought a year's supply. The supply I bought is just like the original lenses I sampled, however. I cannot read with them, not even with glasses, and I have tried all different strengths of reading glasses.

    Why is there such a difference if the prescription is the same? Why did I get only 1 set of contacts that was great, same brand, same prescription? I feel like that one set of contacts fit better, that it has more to do with "fit" than with the prescription. I have seconds where I have very clear up-close vision, but it fades and is intermittent. I am planning on talking to the doctor about it when I go back, but I would like to have some insight first. Is it all in my head??? Could this have something to do with having astigmatism?

    Thank you

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    I am 46 years old and just starting wearing contacts last fall. I am wearing Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear. I am wearing monovision contacts with contact lenses in both eyes. Before that, I wore only over-the-counter readers for working on the computer and reading and no vision correction otherwise but noticed that my vision at night seemed to be getting worse, so I went in for a checkup and was prescribed these contacts after a few weeks was spent on adjusting the prescription. Here's what happened: The original prescription was good except for reading. He tweaked the close-vision eye, but then my vision was made a lot worse otherwise, so I tried the original prescription again, and it was fantastic. I had been told in the beginning that I would probably need reading glasses even with the contacts, but with this 3rd set of sample lenses, I didn't even need glasses to read. They were great, so I went ahead and bought a year's supply. The supply I bought is just like the original lenses I sampled, however. I cannot read with them, not even with glasses, and I have tried all different strengths of reading glasses.
    My first guess is that when you got your years supply of contact lenses that the prescription was wrong. Did you try two or three different pairs from that batch?

    It's also possible that your prescription had changed, but that's unlikely. Dry a different pair of contacts and see what happens, then check back here. I hope it's a simple fix for you.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    My first guess is that when you got your years supply of contact lenses that the prescription was wrong. Did you try two or three different pairs from that batch?

    It's also possible that your prescription had changed, but that's unlikely. Dry a different pair of contacts and see what happens, then check back here. I hope it's a simple fix for you.
    Yes, I know, but same prescription, unless there was a mistake on the trial lenses, and they labeled one of the packages incorrectly at the factory. It has been since fall, so by now I have gone through several pairs from different boxes. As a matter of fact, I went through quite a few last fall just trying to duplicate what I had, thinking maybe I had a bad box or boxes. I don't think my prescription has changed. Why would it change just going from sample lenses to the ones I purchased 2 weeks later? I suppose that it's possible for it to change like that in 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem likely. Every now and then I get some lenses that are awful, too, in the bunch that I purchased, and I struggle with them for a week and switch out. Some of the lenses seem better than others, both eyes, but I have never gotten the great vision I did with that one trial pair. I want that again. Ha! I can dream, can't I? The good news is, I know that I can have great vision with contacts. The bad news is, I know that I can have great vision with contacts. I almost wish I were still ignorant - I wouldn't be pining so.

    I am worried that the doctor is going to think I'm nuts when I try to explain this to him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Yes, I know, but same prescription, unless there was a mistake on the trial lenses, and they labeled one of the packages incorrectly at the factory. It has been since fall, so by now I have gone through several pairs from different boxes. As a matter of fact, I went through quite a few last fall just trying to duplicate what I had, thinking maybe I had a bad box or boxes. I don't think my prescription has changed. Why would it change just going from sample lenses to the ones I purchased 2 weeks later? I suppose that it's possible for it to change like that in 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem likely. Every now and then I get some lenses that are awful, too, in the bunch that I purchased, and I struggle with them for a week and switch out. Some of the lenses seem better than others, both eyes, but I have never gotten the great vision I did with that one trial pair. I want that again. Ha! I can dream, can't I? The good news is, I know that I can have great vision with contacts. The bad news is, I know that I can have great vision with contacts. I almost wish I were still ignorant - I wouldn't be pining so.

    I am worried that the doctor is going to think I'm nuts when I try to explain this to him.
    Hopefully your doctor will take you seriously. Without knowing anything except what you've written here, I can only guess, and my guess would be what packman has already said: that the contact lenses you bought after those wonderful trial lenses were not the same. Bring those fuzzy lenses in and have your doctor take a look at them. Hopefully you can get this sorted out.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    Hopefully your doctor will take you seriously. Without knowing anything except what you've written here, I can only guess, and my guess would be what packman has already said: that the contact lenses you bought after those wonderful trial lenses were not the same. Bring those fuzzy lenses in and have your doctor take a look at them. Hopefully you can get this sorted out.
    Thank you. I am having a great week so far with fresh lenses. I opened a new box for the left eye, and I wonder if the others in the box will be as good. These fresh lenses are the best so far since I purchased the year's supply last fall. Not only are they really comfortable and staying moist, I can see great, almost as good as with the trial pair. I can actually sit here and type this without my reading glasses. How about that? My vision reading signs while driving is excellent with these as well. The signs are sharp and clear. With the current pair of lenses I have in my eyes right now, I am quite happy. Weird, huh? I never want change out these puppies. Oh my.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Thank you. I am having a great week so far with fresh lenses. I opened a new box for the left eye, and I wonder if the others in the box will be as good. These fresh lenses are the best so far since I purchased the year's supply last fall. Not only are they really comfortable and staying moist, I can see great, almost as good as with the trial pair. I can actually sit here and type this without my reading glasses. How about that? My vision reading signs while driving is excellent with these as well. The signs are sharp and clear. With the current pair of lenses I have in my eyes right now, I am quite happy. Weird, huh? I never want change out these puppies. Oh my.
    I'm glad things are "looking better" for you, McFeist. Just make sure you don't wear those "perfect" lenses too long, or things will quickly go south.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bessie View Post
    I'm glad things are "looking better" for you, McFeist. Just make sure you don't wear those "perfect" lenses too long, or things will quickly go south.
    Thanks! I am really fastidious about my contacts, so I promise I will change them out on schedule

  8. #8

    Default Change Your Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Thanks! I am really fastidious about my contacts, so I promise I will change them out on schedule
    Awesome. Good call, Bessie.

  9. #9

    Default Good Job

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Thank you. I am having a great week so far with fresh lenses. I opened a new box for the left eye, and I wonder if the others in the box will be as good. These fresh lenses are the best so far since I purchased the year's supply last fall. Not only are they really comfortable and staying moist, I can see great, almost as good as with the trial pair. I can actually sit here and type this without my reading glasses. How about that? My vision reading signs while driving is excellent with these as well. The signs are sharp and clear. With the current pair of lenses I have in my eyes right now, I am quite happy. Weird, huh? I never want change out these puppies. Oh my.
    It looks like you found the right lenses for you. Congratulations, McFeist.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    It looks like you found the right lenses for you. Congratulations, McFeist.
    Well thank you. Unfortunately, I am struggling again. I got frustrated this week and am taking some time off from the lenses. My vision got really blurry, especially distance vision, with a fresh pair of lenses. I actually sat down and just cried the other day. This has been the hardest thing about middle age for me. I wouldn't mind monovision if I could just get some consistency with it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664

    Default It's Not Over

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Well thank you. Unfortunately, I am struggling again. I got frustrated this week and am taking some time off from the lenses. My vision got really blurry, especially distance vision, with a fresh pair of lenses. I actually sat down and just cried the other day. This has been the hardest thing about middle age for me. I wouldn't mind monovision if I could just get some consistency with it.
    Wow, I'm really sorry about that McFeist. Is your distance vision blurry all the time, or just under certain circumstances? I hope you find some answers to this. Don't give up yet!

  12. #12

    Default Not giving up yet!

    Quote Originally Posted by 321contacts View Post
    Wow, I'm really sorry about that McFeist. Is your distance vision blurry all the time, or just under certain circumstances? I hope you find some answers to this. Don't give up yet!
    Well thank you for your kind words. My distance vision is blurry all the time depending on the set of contacts. In other words, every so often I get a great set of fresh contacts that seem to work well, and they seem to keep working pretty much the entire two weeks (I take them out and rest my eyes at night). Then the next set might be blurry from day one when I put them in. I have good distance vision without contacts, but I cannot see worth anything up close or even intermediate, like the computer screen. I have started having trouble with seeing with no correction at night, especially with lights. Lights are really distorted.

    It might be possible that I am putting one or both contacts in inside out when I open a fresh pair. I am going to look into that tomorrow. I absolutely cannot tell whether they are inside out or not by looking at them, not even with my readers on. I have to just trial and error, and I can't always tell when they are in my eyes either.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    It might be possible that I am putting one or both contacts in inside out when I open a fresh pair. I am going to look into that tomorrow. I absolutely cannot tell whether they are inside out or not by looking at them, not even with my readers on. I have to just trial and error, and I can't always tell when they are in my eyes either.
    Have you seen the posts here on Lens 101 that tell you how to tell if your contacts are inside out? Here's the thread which includes a helpful illustration:

    http://www.lens101.com/focus-dailies/6878-focus-dalies-inside-out.html

  14. #14

    Default Great thread

    Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    Have you seen the posts here on Lens 101 that tell you how to tell if your contacts are inside out? Here's the thread which includes a helpful illustration:
    Oh my, that was a great thread. Not only was it helpful, but it was entertaining as well. The Acuvue Oasys lenses are really tough to tell if they are inside out, and with my right eye I cannot even really tell when I have it in whether it is correct or not until I get out and drive somewhere and notice signs are really blurry. Because of this, I try really, really hard to not let them turn inside out and have been assuming that they are sitting in the packaging with the concave side oriented up and ready for insertion. Perhaps I ought not make that assumption. Thanks for the helpful link.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Oh my, that was a great thread. Not only was it helpful, but it was entertaining as well. The Acuvue Oasys lenses are really tough to tell if they are inside out, and with my right eye I cannot even really tell when I have it in whether it is correct or not until I get out and drive somewhere and notice signs are really blurry. Because of this, I try really, really hard to not let them turn inside out and have been assuming that they are sitting in the packaging with the concave side oriented up and ready for insertion. Perhaps I ought not make that assumption. Thanks for the helpful link.
    I'm glad you were entertained as well as informed.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    Oh my, that was a great thread. Not only was it helpful, but it was entertaining as well. The Acuvue Oasys lenses are really tough to tell if they are inside out, and with my right eye I cannot even really tell when I have it in whether it is correct or not until I get out and drive somewhere and notice signs are really blurry. Because of this, I try really, really hard to not let them turn inside out and have been assuming that they are sitting in the packaging with the concave side oriented up and ready for insertion. Perhaps I ought not make that assumption. Thanks for the helpful link.
    It's not often we get to see the words "great thread" around here. Thank you for the accolade. We'll take it.

  17. #17

    Default Lightbulb moment

    Quote Originally Posted by 321contacts View Post
    It's not often we get to see the words "great thread" around here. Thank you for the accolade. We'll take it.
    You are very welcome. I figured out how to tell if the Acuvue Oasys lenses are inside out! If I look at them sideways, like this ) I can tell. I can see the difference in the shape distinctly that way.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    You are very welcome. I figured out how to tell if the Acuvue Oasys lenses are inside out! If I look at them sideways, like this ) I can tell. I can see the difference in the shape distinctly that way.
    That's so nice to hear, McFeist. It's always good to know when this forum is able to help someone and then they come back to say so. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    You are very welcome. I figured out how to tell if the Acuvue Oasys lenses are inside out! If I look at them sideways, like this ) I can tell. I can see the difference in the shape distinctly that way.
    That will save you a lot of trouble in the years to come. Now go show your friends your new trick.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McFeist View Post
    You are very welcome. I figured out how to tell if the Acuvue Oasys lenses are inside out! If I look at them sideways, like this ) I can tell. I can see the difference in the shape distinctly that way.
    Okay, when they look like that, does it mean that they're right-side out? How do they look otherwise?
    I think it's great that you can tell that your contact lens is inside out by just looking at it. Have you ever found that one of your own contact lenses was inside out?

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 321contacts View Post
    That will save you a lot of trouble in the years to come. Now go show your friends your new trick.
    That could be a hit at parties. "See, now it's inside out. And now . . . it's, um . . . outside . . . out."

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beckifera View Post
    That could be a hit at parties. "See, now it's inside out. And now . . . it's, um . . . outside . . . out."
    Then you can play the Carpool Game. "Good guy, bad guy. Good guy, bad guy."

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steuhrob View Post
    Then you can play the Carpool Game. "Good guy, bad guy. Good guy, bad guy."
    Oh, I love The Carpool Game!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    501

    Default If Not Acually Painful

    Quote Originally Posted by Steuhrob View Post
    Okay, when they look like that, does it mean that they're right-side out? How do they look otherwise?
    I think it's great that you can tell that your contact lens is inside out by just looking at it. Have you ever found that one of your own contact lenses was inside out?
    I haven't but I'm sure others have and the inversion marks saved them from making an uncomfortable mistake.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Contact Lenses / Contact Lens Forums

    1. Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2

      1-Day Acuvue 2, 1-Day Acuvue Moist 2, 1-Day Acuvue TruEye, Biotrue ONEday Biomedics 1 Day 2, ClearSight 1 Day, Dailies AquaComfort Plus 2, Focus Dailies 2, Proclear 1 Day 2, SofLens Daily Disposable 2,
    1. 1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses

      Acuvue 2, Acuvue 2 2, Acuvue Advance 2, Acuvue Oasys 2, Avaira, Biomedics 38 2, Biomedics 55 2, Biomedics 55 Premier 2, Biomedics EP, Biomedics XC 2, Extreme H20 54% 2, Extreme H2O 59% Thin 2, Extreme H2O 59% Xtra 2, FreshLook Handling Tint 2, O2 Optix 2, Precision UV 2, SofLens 38 2, SofLens 59 2, Vertex Sphere
    1. Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses

      Air Optix Aqua 2, Air Optix Night & Day Aqua, Biofinity 2, Clarity H2O, Focus Monthly Visitint 2, Focus Night & Day 2, Frequency 55 2, Frequency 55 Aspheric 2, Optima 38 SP 2, Preference 2, Preference Standard 2, Proclear Compatibles 2, PureVision 2
    1. Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7

      Acuvue 2 Colours - Enhancers 2, Acuvue 2 Colours - Opaques 2, Expressions Colors 2, Focus 1-2 Week SoftColors 2, FreshLook Dimensions 2, Focus Monthly SoftColors 2, FreshLook ColorBlends 2, FreshLook Colors 2, FreshLook One-Day 2
    1. Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3

      Boston 7 2, Boston Envision 2, Boston EO 2, Boston Equalens 2, Boston Equalens II 2, Boston ES 2, Boston II 2, Boston IV 2, Boston RXD 2, Boston XO 2, Boston XO2 2, Flosi 2, Fluorex 300 2, Fluorex 500 2, Fluorex 700 2, Fluorocon 2, Fluoroperm 151 2, Fluoroperm 30 2, Fluoroperm 60 2, Fluoroperm 92 2, Hydro 02 2, OP-2 2, OP-10 2, OP-3 2, OP-6 2, O-Perm 30 2, O-Perm 60 2, Optacryl 60 2, Optimum Classic 2, Optimum Comfort 2, Optimum Extra 2, Optimum Extreme 2, Paragon HDS 2, Paragon HDS 100 2, Paragon Thin 2, Paraperm 02 2, Paraperm EW 2, PMMA 2, Polycon II 2, SA 18 (Phoenix 18) 2, SA 32 (Phoenix 32) 2, SGP I 2, SGP II 2, SGP III 2, Trans-aire 2
    1. Toric Contact Lenses 2 3

      Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism 2, 1-Day Acuvue Moist for Astigmatism, Avaira Toric, Extreme H20 54% Toric, Purevision 2HD, Purevision 2HD for Astigmatism, Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism 2, Air Optix for Astigmatism 2, Biomedics Toric, Biofinity Toric, ClearSight 1 Day Toric, Focus Dailies Toric 2, Focus Monthly Toric 2, Frequency 55 Toric 2, Frequency 55 Toric XR, FreshLook ColorBlends Toric 2, FreshLook Toric 2, Optima Toric 2, Preference Toric DW 2, Preference Toric XR, Proclear Toric 2, Proclear Toric XR, PureVision Toric 2, SofLens 66 Toric 2, Vertex Toric 2, Vertex Toric XR,
    1. Bifocal Contact Lenses 2

      Acuvue Bifocal 2, Biofinity Multifocal, Acuvue Oasys for Presbyopia, Air Optix Aqua Multifocal, Focus Dailies Progressives 2, Frequency 55 Multifocal, Proclear Multifocal, PureVision Multi-Focal 2, SofLens Multi-Focal 2
    1. Vial Contact Lenses

      Silsoft Aphakic Adult, Silsoft Super Plus Kids, Softcon EW 2,
    1. Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

      Celebrity Contact Lenses 2, Halloween Contact Lenses 2, Novelty Contact Lenses 2, Special Effects Contact Lenses 2, Sports Contact Lenses 2
  • Contact Lens Solutions

    1. Multi-Purpose Solutions

      Aquify, Biofresh, Biotrue, Clear Care, COMPLETE, OPTI-FREE EXPRESS, OPTI-FREE Pure Moist, OPTI-FREE RepleniSH, Oxysept, ReNu Fresh, ReNu Sensitive, RevitaLens, Sensitive Eyes Daily Cleaner, Sensitive Eyes Plus Saline, Ultrazyme
    1. Gas Permeable

      Boston Advance (GP), Boston Conditioning and Cleaner (GP), Boston One Step Liquid Enzymatic (GP), Boston Simplus (GP), OPTI-FREE GP
    1. Protein Removers

      OPTI-FREE Supra Clens, ReNu 1 Step liquid Protein Remover
    1. Comfort Drops

      Blink Contacts Lubricating Eye Drops, Boston Rewetting Drops (GP) COMPLETE Blink-N-Clean Lens Drops, OPTI-FREE Pure Moist Rewetting Drops OPTI-FREE RepleniSH Rewetting Drops, ReNu MultiPlus Rewetting Drops ReNu Rewetting Drops, Sensitive Eyes Rewetting Drops
  • Eyewear

    1. Eyeglasses & Reading Glasses

      Prada Eyeglasses, Armani Eyeglasses, Versace Eyeglasses, Calvin Klein Eyeglasses, Ray Ban Eyeglasses, Oakley Eyeglasses, Vogue Eyeglasses, DKNY Eyeglasses, Cazal Eyeglasses, Safilo Eyeglasses
    1. Sunglasses

      Oakley Sunglasses, Ray Ban Sunglasses, Christian Dior Sunglasses, Prada Sunglasses, Spy Sunglasses, Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses, Maui Jim Sunglasses, Smith Sunglasses, Versace Sunglasses, Bolle Sunglasses
  • Eye Care Forums

    1. Eye Health

      Eye Surgery 2 3 4 5, General Eye Health 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9,
    1. Eye Care Professionals

      ECP Corner
  • News

    1. News Archive

      2010 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec) 2009 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec) 2008 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec) 2007 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec) 2006 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec) 2005 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec) 2004 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec)