Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Contact Lens Forums > 1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses > Acuvue Oasys
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Acuvue Oasys Ask a question about Acuvue Oasys, start a discussion about Acuvue Oasys, share your opinion about Acuvue Oasys, or write an online review and share your experience with Acuvue Oasys contact lenses.


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sleeping in them

This is a discussion on Sleeping in them within the Acuvue Oasys forums; Has anyone slept in these contacts ? Not just for a few hours, but all ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
Since 1995, Lens.com has provided all types and brands of contacts,including the popular Acuvue Oasys contacts, One - Two Week Disposable Lenses manufactured by Johnson & Johnson, at 70% OFF retail. Buy with confidence as Lens.com offers the exact same contact lenses prescribed by your eye doctor delivered to you for less!
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32
Default Sleeping in them

Has anyone slept in these contacts? Not just for a few hours, but all night? Just wondering if they get weird in your eyes if in there all night.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default Sleeping in them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine4 View Post
Has anyone slept in these contacts? Not just for a few hours, but all night? Just wondering if they get weird in your eyes if in there all night.
I haven't slept in them personally, but they are listed as 1-2 week contact lenses. They are designed to be worn all day and all night for a week, so they shouldn't get "weird."
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32
Default

I haven't slept in mine either. The doctor did say that I could sleep in them but I really didnt' see any reason I would need or want to sleep in them. He said that they may turn gooey if I keep them in all night. Just wanted to know if anyone experienced this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Default

I have no probs here...

Touch wood xx
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleElvis View Post
I haven't slept in them personally, but they are listed as 1-2 week contact lenses. They are designed to be worn all day and all night for a week, so they shouldn't get "weird."
Does this mean that I can sleep in them for a week, then take them out, clean and do another week or do I have to get rid of them after a week?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default Acuvue Oasys Wearing Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzmeh View Post
Does this mean that I can sleep in them for a week, then take them out, clean and do another week or do I have to get rid of them after a week?
Good question.

Your eye doctor will tell you how you should wear your particular contacts, but in general you wear these contacts for seven days and six nights, or fourteen days and no nights, cleaning them daily, and then you throw them away.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Angry Y sleep in lenses??

in takes me 10 sec to take out my lenses and 1 minute to rub and throw in solution, then another 30 seconds to put them in morning, so Y sleep in them??
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Default

0.2% of my day is spent caring for contacts and NOT sleeping in them, yet a tremendous increase in Eye Health by NOT sleeping in them, so Y sleep in lenses? Y

the argument above convenience over eye health vs time?? not even relevant. 0.2% of time to care for contacts and someone would trade that time for eye health, get real!!

Last edited by rfriel; 12-14-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
I have no probs here...

Touch wood xx
Oh, "touch wood."

I thought you said "Torchwood."
Attached Images
File Type: png TorchwoodChildrenofEarthPromo1.png (155.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Torchwood_Logo.jpg (10.5 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default Sleeping in Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman View Post
Oh, "touch wood."

I thought you said "Torchwood."
That's great, packman. The BBC no doubt thanks you for your free advertisement of one of their shows.

Does anyone else want to comment on sleeping in their Acuvue Oasys contact lenses?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Default Nice!! Very nice

Yes, back on topic, but funny........ LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleElvis View Post
That's great, packman. The BBC no doubt thanks you for your free advertisement of one of their shows.

Does anyone else want to comment on sleeping in their Acuvue Oasys contact lenses?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 546
Default Sleeping With Acuvue Oasys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfriel View Post
in takes me 10 sec to take out my lenses and 1 minute to rub and throw in solution, then another 30 seconds to put them in morning, so Y sleep in them??
Well, rfriel, there may be some people who aren't as practiced as you are and it might take them more than 10 seconds to get their contact lenses out and a lot more than thirty seconds to get them back in.

You're right that it's healthier to take your contacts out at night, but in the case of Acuvue Oasys, it's perfectly safe to sleep in them, but no more than six nights.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Default again, Y sleep in lenses?

its true, Acuvue Oasys are rated for 6 nights/7 days, i still will never knowingly sleep in contact lenses. its not healthy for eyes. In fact there is a research paper that demonstrates, contact lens wear is equivalent to Corneal Epithelial TRUAMA!!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC547033/ read it and cry, cause after this, you're not going to want to wear contact lens anymore. after you see the TRAUMA caused to the eye by lenses. YUCK!!

QUOTE from research paper: "The results of investigations with pig eyes maintained in organ cultures demonstrated that mild trauma to the corneal surface produced by contact lens wear not only renders the cornea more susceptible to trophozoite binding but also provokes Acanthamoeba trophozoites to produce increased quantities of the pathogenic protease MIP133. The present results also suggest that in addition to serving as a mechanical vector, contact lenses can acquire biofilms and proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins, which stimulate trophozoites to produce increased amounts of MIP133 and create more severe corneal infections."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
Well, rfriel, there may be some people who aren't as practiced as you are and it might take them more than 10 seconds to get their contact lenses out and a lot more than thirty seconds to get them back in.

You're right that it's healthier to take your contacts out at night, but in the case of Acuvue Oasys, it's perfectly safe to sleep in them, but no more than six nights.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Default Lighten Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfriel View Post
its true, Acuvue Oasys are rated for 6 nights/7 days, i still will never knowingly sleep in contact lenses. its not healthy for eyes. In fact there is a research paper that demonstrates, contact lens wear is equivalent to Corneal Epithelial TRUAMA!!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC547033/ read it and cry, cause after this, you're not going to want to wear contact lens anymore. after you see the TRAUMA caused to the eye by lenses. YUCK!!

QUOTE from research paper: "The results of investigations with pig eyes maintained in organ cultures demonstrated that mild trauma to the corneal surface produced by contact lens wear not only renders the cornea more susceptible to trophozoite binding but also provokes Acanthamoeba trophozoites to produce increased quantities of the pathogenic protease MIP133. The present results also suggest that in addition to serving as a mechanical vector, contact lenses can acquire biofilms and proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins, which stimulate trophozoites to produce increased amounts of MIP133 and create more severe corneal infections."
Come on rfriel.

If contact lenses were so awful, then a) no one would wear them and b) eye doctors would warn their patients not to wear them, and c) the Food and Drug Administration would ban them.

Like I said in another thread, I think you're getting scared by the word "trauma." According to the article you mentioned, yes, contact lenses can irritate the surface of the cornea, and that may possibly cause other problems, but the vast majority of people who wear their contacts properly and see their eye doctor on a regular basis have healthy eyes.

The lesson we should take from the information you posted should not be "don't wear contact lenses" but "wear contact lenses if you choose, and take care of them, because there's real danger if you don't." All that talk about "biofilms and proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins" just means that a person is putting contact lenses in their eyes that have not been properly sterilized and cleaned of deposits.

By the way, "proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins" is double-talk. It's like saying "this donut has sugary deposits of powdered sugar."
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Default YES, I agree

YES, I agree, you are 100% correct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriBrown View Post
Come on rfriel.

If contact lenses were so awful, then a) no one would wear them and b) eye doctors would warn their patients not to wear them, and c) the Food and Drug Administration would ban them.

Like I said in another thread, I think you're getting scared by the word "trauma." According to the article you mentioned, yes, contact lenses can irritate the surface of the cornea, and that may possibly cause other problems, but the vast majority of people who wear their contacts properly and see their eye doctor on a regular basis have healthy eyes.

The lesson we should take from the information you posted should not be "don't wear contact lenses" but "wear contact lenses if you choose, and take care of them, because there's real danger if you don't." All that talk about "biofilms and proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins" just means that a person is putting contact lenses in their eyes that have not been properly sterilized and cleaned of deposits.

By the way, "proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins" is double-talk. It's like saying "this donut has sugary deposits of powdered sugar."
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriBrown View Post
By the way, "proteinaceous deposits of mannosylated proteins" is double-talk. It's like saying "this donut has sugary deposits of powdered sugar."
Mmmmmmm . . . powdered sugar donuts . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3050.jpg (58.8 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default Get Thee Behind Me, Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StairMaster71 View Post
Mmmmmmm . . . powdered sugar donuts . . .
Good thing I just finished my lunch, Stairmaster71, or I might have gotten distracted.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default

i slept in mines by accident last night what could happen?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default

<a href="http://www.lens101.com/acuvue-oasys.html" title="Acuvue Oasys "><b>Acuvue Oasys </b></a> Ask a question about Acuvue Oasys , start a discussion, share your opinion, or write an online review and share your experience with Acuvue Oasys contact lenses.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
i slept in mines by accident last night what could happen?
Hello Tuyen

Welcome to the forum.

OK, since you posted under Acuvue Oasis 1-2 week lenses I assume that is what you are wearing. These are made of silicone hydrogel (senofilcon A) with highish oxygen permeability (Dk 103).

While you shouldn't sleep in lenses without the agreement of your doctor, one night and especially with a lens as breathable as this one, you should have absolutely no problems. The problem with sleeping with lenses, in is that the eye may be starved of oxygen when your eyelids are closed and problems can occur if you do this long term against the doctor's advice.

If your eyes are uncomfortable, just give them a rest without the lenses for say 12 hours and you will be fine.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine4 View Post
Has anyone slept in these contacts? Not just for a few hours, but all night? Just wondering if they get weird in your eyes if in there all night.
i sometimes sleep in them. the longest i kept them in was for 72 hours, by then was eyes were dry a little bit. also whenever i sleep for a few hours and open my eyes, they are a bit blurry, but that clears up in a minute or so. my doctor said i should take them out every night, but i have a weird working schedule, so sometimes i wear them overnight, and take naps in them.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Default sleeping in contact lenses??

I saw a pie chart that showed a full 1/3 of people wearing contacts now wear them for 30 day extended wear. this is millions and millions of people that wear a full 30 days. so yes, it is very common to sleep in lenses overnight, not recommended, but millions of people do it anyway. i will have to find the pie chart and submit as evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 444
Default Listen to Your Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post
i sometimes sleep in them. the longest i kept them in was for 72 hours, by then was eyes were dry a little bit. also whenever i sleep for a few hours and open my eyes, they are a bit blurry, but that clears up in a minute or so. my doctor said i should take them out every night, but i have a weird working schedule, so sometimes i wear them overnight, and take naps in them.
Are you talking about Acuvue Oasys contact lenses? If so, it should be okay to sleep in them overnight, but if your doctor tells you to take them out every night, that's what you should do, weird working schedule or not. Maybe there's something about your particular eyes that's different from most.

I had an experience where I was not taking my prescription medication on a regular basis. I told my doctor, who is generally a very friendly man, that my erratic work schedule was making it hard for me to take my medicine regularly. He told me "Take your medicine when you're supposed to. I don't give a #*%$ what your schedule is."

That was clear enough. Your eye doctor may tell you the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursenancy View Post
Are you talking about Acuvue Oasys contact lenses?
yes, with Hydraclear Plus if that makes any diffrence. i think i'm going to look into getting the lenses you can keep in for mutiple days. (day &nights)
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 172
Default slept in lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
i slept in mines by accident last night what could happen?
sleeping in lens = corneal epithelial trauma
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 546
Default Find the Pie Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfriel View Post
I saw a pie chart that showed a full 1/3 of people wearing contacts now wear them for 30 day extended wear. this is millions and millions of people that wear a full 30 days. so yes, it is very common to sleep in lenses overnight, not recommended, but millions of people do it anyway. i will have to find the pie chart and submit as evidence.
Hi rfriel. I'd love to see that pie chart. Have you tried good old Google?
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 546
Default The Slept-In Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfriel View Post
sleeping in lens = corneal epithelial trauma
Not always. Acuvue Oasys contact lenses are designed to be slept in for up to a week with no trauma.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default I'm Traumatized

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
Not always. Acuvue Oasys contact lenses are designed to be slept in for up to a week with no trauma.
Right you are, HelpMe Rhonda.

Now, I've heard that even sleeping in lenses like Acuvue Oasys does technically cause "trauma." I don't know how true that is, but I suspect it probably causes as much "trauma" as scratching an itch on your arm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site
Add a link on your site or blog
Acuvue Oasys Ask a question about Acuvue Oasys , start a discussion, share your opinion, or write an online review and share your experience with Acuvue Oasys contact lenses.

Copy and Paste HTML Below:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.