Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Contact Lens Forums > Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses > Biofinity
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biofinity Ask a question about Biofinity, start a discussion about Biofinity, share your opinion about Biofinity, or write an online review and share your experience with Biofinity contact lenses.


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solution to use with biofinity? Also having problems with it.

This is a discussion on Solution to use with biofinity? Also having problems with it. within the Biofinity forums; My pharmacy is stocking cyclean (Sauflon) and renu multi-purpose solution (Bausch & Lomb) and im ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
Since 1995, Lens.com has provided all types and brands of contacts,including the popular Biofinity contacts, Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses manufactured by CooperVision, at 70% OFF retail. Buy with confidence as Lens.com offers the exact same contact lenses prescribed by your eye doctor delivered to you for less!
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default Solution to use with biofinity? Also having problems with it.

My pharmacy is stocking cyclean (Sauflon) and renu multi-purpose solution (Bausch & Lomb) and im not sure what else, their selection is probably limited because they only stock Biofinity and frequency55 lenses.

Which solution is best for these lenses? I have found this compatibility chart but cyclean is not listed and my renu solution doesn't have exactly the same name as any of them either staininggrid.com

Recently I have been having a lot of trouble with biofinity, the first few times I wear them they are fine, then after wearing them a few times they seem to develop a defect. Vision isn't smooth when I move my eye, in certain places vision jumps, kind of like when you move a hologram card. Vision alternates between very blurred as if the contact isn't in properly and normal (check in the mirror and it is in properly), and then it starts to hurt and removing it is a relief, except it hurts more for a few minutes as soon as the contact is removed. Once the contact becomes like this I just throw it out because once the symptoms start they never go away. If I sleep in my contacts by mistake it seems the lenses have a 50% chance to develop this defect, whatever is causing it.

I was hoping to find out if those 2 solutions I mentioned are compatible with these lenses and if the problems persist I will try Avaira to see if things change. Also, I have just been treated for an eye infection, I don't know if the bacteria that causes pink eye can damage lenses in this manner..
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 351
Default Bottom Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson21 View Post
My pharmacy is stocking cyclean (Sauflon) and renu multi-purpose solution (Bausch & Lomb) and im not sure what else, their selection is probably limited because they only stock biofinity and frequency55 lenses.

Which solution is best for these lenses? I have found this compatibility chart but cyclean is not listed and my renu solution doesn't have exactly the same name as any of them either staininggrid.com

Recently I have been having a lot of trouble with biofinity, the first few times I wear them they are fine, then after wearing them a few times they seem to develop a defect. Vision isn't smooth when I move my eye, in certain places vision jumps, kind of like when you move a hologram card. Vision alternates between very blurred as if the contact isn't in properly and normal (check in the mirror and it is in properly), and then it starts to hurt and removing it is a relief, except it hurts more for a few minutes as soon as the contact is removed. Once the contact becomes like this I just throw it out because once the symptoms start they never go away. If I sleep in my contacts by mistake it seems the lenses have a 50% chance to develop this defect, whatever is causing it.

I was hoping to find out if those 2 solutions I mentioned are compatible with these lenses and if the problems persist I will try avaira to see if things change. Also, I have just been treated for an eye infection, I don't know if the bacteria that causes pink eye can damage lenses in this manner..
Okay, so bottom line is that you want to know if Cyclean and Renu Multi-Purpose are compatible with Biofinity lenses?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Yes, but I was also hoping for an opinion on what could cause the contact lense damage I am experiencing
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 463
Default Cleaning Biofinity Lenses Safely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson21 View Post
Yes, but I was also hoping for an opinion on what could cause the contact lense damage I am experiencing
I searched for an answer to this question and lo and behold, right here on Lens 101 it said "Clear Care (single step peroxide system) is generally recommended if there is a suspicion of contact lens solution allergies, as Clear Care does not contain any preservatives." That came from one of the smartest people I've read about here in this forum. Here's where you can find that post: http://www.lens101.com/biofinity/119799-recommendations.html
Post #19 if you want to cut to the chase, but you'll probably want to read the whole thread.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default

I don't think i'm allergic to those contact lense solutions as i've been using them for around 8 years with different lenses such as proclear and frequency55.

So those solutions I mentioned are not suitable for biofinity?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson21 View Post
I don't think i'm allergic to those contact lense solutions as i've been using them for around 8 years with different lenses such as proclear and frequency55.

So those solutions I mentioned are not suitable for biofinity?
Hi, any multipurpose solution can be used with biofinity lenses. Some people may react differently to certain solutions than others. If you were my patient I would have you switch to clear care, which is a peroxide cleaning system. You MUST WAIT 6 hours after putting them in the clear care before putting back on or you will scream so loud you will wake up the neighbors. Its a mistake you only make once. If clear care doesnt work try the new biotrue its a multipurpose or revitalens. If all else fails switch to daily disposable lenses like Acuvue trueye, proclear dailies, ciba aqua dailies, etc..... or even try unpreserved saline like UNISOL, ... Unisol is NOT a cleaner though so you should only use it if you plan on disposing of your lenses frequently . *daily lenses*
-cheers
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 444
Default Glad You're Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeedoc View Post
Hi, any multipurpose solution can be used with biofinity lenses. Some people may react differently to certain solutions than others. If you were my patient I would have you switch to clear care, which is a peroxide cleaning system. You MUST WAIT 6 hours after putting them in the clear care before putting back on or you will scream so loud you will wake up the neighbors. Its a mistake you only make once. If clear care doesnt work try the new biotrue its a multipurpose or revitalens. If all else fails switch to daily disposable lenses like acuvue trueye, proclear dailies, ciba aqua dailies, etc..... or even try unpreserved saline like UNISOL, ... Unisol is NOT a cleaner though so you should only use it if you plan on disposing of your lenses frequently . *daily lenses*
-cheers
I'm so glad you found this website, eyeedoc. Your expertise is sorely needed, because I wouldn't have known what to tell Johnson21.

So . . . what eyeedoc said.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Sophomore
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 70
Default Once..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursenancy View Post
I'm so glad you found this website, eyeedoc. Your expertise is sorely needed, because I wouldn't have known what to tell Johnson21.

So . . . what eyeedoc said.
Except "you only make once". That is not true..

Last edited by HydroRunner; 08-14-2011 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: misquotation
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 444
Default Don't Do It Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroRunner View Post
Except "you only make once". That is not true..
Are you referring to when eyeedoc said "You MUST WAIT 6 hours after putting them in the clear care before putting back on or you will scream so loud you will wake up the neighbors. Its a mistake you only make once"?

I would hope that you would not repeat a mistake that makes you "scream so loud you will wake up the neighbors."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 174
Default

Well this was going to be my first question.

I have to start the new lenses tomorrow but maybe I should hold off?

Because the people in the eye doc's office told me I can store the Biofinity lenses in the Hydraclear solution which I used with the Accuvue Oasys, I sure do not want to ruin the new lens. I am a slow learner and I don't think the Accuvue Lens will last another week because I handled them so much because of the issue of gettting them in frontwards or backwards... And I just read online that snagging and many things will damage them.

Anyone heard if the Hydraclear is OK with the Biofinity? This office has been GREAT so far, except at my intial fitting they did not believe me when I said "the lost lens is in my EYE!" and pushed me to put a second lens in..... (which I did and finally I got both of them out 2 days later) but that was a fluke I think, and everyone is being nice to me, also the lenses felt good..... Kinda hate to change now, that I have read on a website a new trick for telling if they are inside out.

Again, anyone heard of the Hydraclear being used with Biofinity?

thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 533
Default What is Hydraclear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLSC View Post
Well this was going to be my first question.

I have to start the new lenses tomorrow but maybe I should hold off?

Because the people in the eye doc's office told me I can store the Biofinity lenses in the Hydraclear solution which I used with the Accuvue Oasys, I sure do not want to ruin the new lens. I am a slow learner and I don't think the Accuvue Lens will last another week because I handled them so much because of the issue of gettting them in frontwards or backwards... And I just read online that snagging and many things will damage them.

Anyone heard if the Hydraclear is OK with the Biofinity? This office has been GREAT so far, except at my intial fitting they did not believe me when I said "the lost lens is in my EYE!" and pushed me to put a second lens in..... (which I did and finally I got both of them out 2 days later) but that was a fluke I think, and everyone is being nice to me, also the lenses felt good..... Kinda hate to change now, that I have read on a website a new trick for telling if they are inside out.

Again, anyone heard of the Hydraclear being used with Biofinity?

thanks,
Okay, I'm a little confused here. (It's not that hard to confuse me.) Isn't Hydraclear a special coating they put on Biofinity contact lenses in the factory, and not a solution you buy to clean them?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 174
Default

Wow, my mistake!

I just looked at the bottle and it's called HydraGlyde.

Im sorry for the confusion.

Still wondering if it's OK to put Biofinity in that solution after wearing. I haven't tried them yet.

Thinking of putting the Accuvue Oasys back in today, if at all (got very little sleep last night & afraid I will fall asleep) since I stayed up so late looking for tips about how to tell which way is right, when the contact flips.

finally found a tip about how to put them in frontwards (instead of backwards) that works for me.

(It's about whether the color shows around the rim or not. Wrong side out there isn't much color, Right side out, the bluish-greenish tint is deeper in color)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLSC View Post
Wow, my mistake!

I just looked at the bottle and it's called HydraGlyde.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Still wondering if it's OK to put Biofinity in that solution after wearing. I haven't tried them yet.

Thinking of putting the Accuvue Oasys back in today, if at all (got very little sleep last night & afraid I will fall asleep) since I stayed up so late looking for tips about how to tell which way is right, when the contact flips.

finally found a tip about how to put them in frontwards (instead of backwards) that works for me.

(It's about whether the color shows around the rim or not. Wrong side out there isn't much color, Right side out, the bluish-greenish tint is deeper in color)
Did you find that information here on Lens 101?

Okay, let's look at your question. You'd like to know if you can safely clean Biofinity lenses with HydraGlyde. Pardon me while I Google . . .

Okay, says here on visiondirect.com "How it works: 1. In the lens case, HydraGlyde Moisture Matrix embeds itself on and within the lens surface to provide moist and hydrated lenses throughout the day. 2. HydraGlyde Moisture Matrix provides a lubricating cushion of moisture for comfort from lens insertion to removal. Opti-Free PureMoist Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution, containing HydraGlyde Moisture Matrix, is a proprietary formula that is specially designed. Provides comfort and moisture from insertion to removal. Reduces lipid deposition and removes protein for clear vision."

The rest of your question, whether HydraGlide can be used for Biofinity lenses, I don't see why not. The page I quote from above also said "Removes protein deposits and reduces lipid deposition for silicone hydrogel and soft contact lenses." I didn't find anything that listed Biofinity contact lenses as silicone hydrogel, but they are soft lenses, so I think you're good to go. You may want to call your eye doctor to double check, though. I think that would be preferable to my "I don't see why not" answer.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgrass View Post
Did you find that information here on Lens 101?

Okay, let's look at your question. You'd like to know if you can safely clean Biofinity lenses with HydraGlyde. Pardon me while I Google . . .

Okay, says here on visiondirect.com "How it works: 1. In the lens case, HydraGlyde Moisture Matrix embeds itself on and within the lens surface to provide moist and hydrated lenses throughout the day. 2. HydraGlyde Moisture Matrix provides a lubricating cushion of moisture for comfort from lens insertion to removal. Opti-Free PureMoist Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution, containing HydraGlyde Moisture Matrix, is a proprietary formula that is specially designed. Provides comfort and moisture from insertion to removal. Reduces lipid deposition and removes protein for clear vision."

The rest of your question, whether HydraGlide can be used for Biofinity lenses, I don't see why not. The page I quote from above also said "Removes protein deposits and reduces lipid deposition for silicone hydrogel and soft contact lenses." I didn't find anything that listed Biofinity contact lenses as silicone hydrogel, but they are soft lenses, so I think you're good to go. You may want to call your eye doctor to double check, though. I think that would be preferable to my "I don't see why not" answer.
Wow Wheatgrass, you're something. Actually my question was can I "store" the Biofinity Lenses in the HydraGlyde.

Believe it or not I had already researched the solution to find out that yes it does "clean" the lenses.. from bacteria, & protein deposits. Now you raised another question that I need to find out more about though, and that is silicone hydrogel.

I spent a few hours a couple of nights back reading about the evolution of contact lenses through the years and saw the different substances mentioned of which they are made but it's all so new to me that I'm not memorizing yet which lens is made of which material.

Wheatgrass, I'm OLD, ok? I can't keep up with ya I feel like finding this forum was my luckiest break but I have a LOT of studying to do!

thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 369
Default Join the Answers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLSC View Post
Wow Wheatgrass, you're something. Actually my question was can I "store" the Biofinity Lenses in the HydraGlyde.

Believe it or not I had already researched the solution to find out that yes it does "clean" the lenses.. from bacteria, & protein deposits. Now you raised another question that I need to find out more about though, and that is silicone hydrogel.

I spent a few hours a couple of nights back reading about the evolution of contact lenses through the years and saw the different substances mentioned of which they are made but it's all so new to me that I'm not memorizing yet which lens is made of which material.

Wheatgrass, I'm OLD, ok? I can't keep up with ya I feel like finding this forum was my luckiest break but I have a LOT of studying to do!

thanks again
That's great. I'm glad Lens 101 is so helpful to you. It's helped me a lot too. I learned just about everything I know about contact lenses from reading this forum and doing the research to help other people. You should try it yourself. Look around and see if you can answer any of the questions here. If you're not confident talking about contact lenses, there are also sections here for glasses and sunglasses.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgrass View Post
That's great. I'm glad Lens 101 is so helpful to you. It's helped me a lot too. I learned just about everything I know about contact lenses from reading this forum and doing the research to help other people. You should try it yourself. Look around and see if you can answer any of the questions here. If you're not confident talking about contact lenses, there are also sections here for glasses and sunglasses.
Look what else I found when I searched for "HydraGlide."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydra-glide-1949.jpg (26.3 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 351
Default Cool Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursenancy View Post
Look what else I found when I searched for "HydraGlide."
Oo, that's a sweet ride. Do those hats come with the bike?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Sophomore
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 70
Default Don't try this at home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursenancy View Post
I would hope that you would not repeat a mistake that makes you "scream so loud you will wake up the neighbors."
You can accidentally repeat the mistake of using H2O2 and forgetting to neutralize it (if it is a 2-fluid system!) If you just take them out of the neutralizing lens container too soon it is actually less severe, the H2O2 is then at least partly gone.

The worst-case error (lens from the 5% H2O2 directly into my eye) has ocurred to me twice. That was with 2-fluid systems, before we had the self-neutralizing containers. I always managed to remove the lens within a few seconds (and then the eye is slightly red but is OK again after one or two hours).

But I can imagine that it is very harmfull if you aren't too experienced with lenses and cannot get the thing out! You really want to squeeze your eye closed because it hurts, that's the problem. Avoid doing this unless you are absolutely sure you can always remove your lens quickly. Or even better just avoid it, period!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM
happyrgplenswearer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson21 View Post
I don't think i'm allergic to those contact lense solutions as i've been using them for around 8 years with different lenses such as proclear and frequency55.

So those solutions I mentioned are not suitable for biofinity?
Eye infections can weaken the immuno response so people can develop sensitivities to the preservatives in the solutions so yes clear care is better for complete disinfection.

Rule#1
If you developed an infection with a particular set of lenses they must NEVER be reused as u may reinfect.

Your symptoms aren't normal and I would see an ECP.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLSC View Post
Wow Wheatgrass, you're something. Actually my question was can I "store" the Biofinity Lenses in the HydraGlyde.

Believe it or not I had already researched the solution to find out that yes it does "clean" the lenses.. from bacteria, & protein deposits. Now you raised another question that I need to find out more about though, and that is silicone hydrogel.

I spent a few hours a couple of nights back reading about the evolution of contact lenses through the years and saw the different substances mentioned of which they are made but it's all so new to me that I'm not memorizing yet which lens is made of which material.

Wheatgrass, I'm OLD, ok? I can't keep up with ya I feel like finding this forum was my luckiest break but I have a LOT of studying to do!

thanks again
I'm glad Wheatgrass and Lens 101 can "teach an old dog some new tricks."

That and he or she was smart enough to tell you to confirm the information with your eye doctor. We've got some really brainy people here on Lens 101. Too bad I'm not one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 444
Default Smarter Than You Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarox View Post
I'm glad Wheatgrass and Lens 101 can "teach an old dog some new tricks."

That and he or she was smart enough to tell you to confirm the information with your eye doctor. We've got some really brainy people here on Lens 101. Too bad I'm not one of them.
Aw come on, Ragnarox. You've got over five hundred posts here. Surely in that time you must have learned something.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site
Add a link on your site or blog
Biofinity Ask a question about Biofinity, start a discussion, share your opinion, or write an online review and share your experience with Biofinity contact lenses.

Copy and Paste HTML Below:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.