Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Contact Lens Forums > General Contact Lens Care and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Contact Lens Care and Questions A discussion of the general questions related to contact lens care and application


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Do You Need a Prescription for Plano Colored Contact Lenses?

This is a discussion on Do You Need a Prescription for Plano Colored Contact Lenses? within the General Contact Lens Care and Questions forums; You know what plano contacts are, right? Those are contact lenses with no prescription. You ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 565
Default Do You Need a Prescription for Plano Colored Contact Lenses?

You know what plano contacts are, right? Those are contact lenses with no prescription. You can get plano colored contact lenses if you don't need vision correction but want different eye color. My question is: do you need a doctor's prescription for plano colored contact lenses?
I know that if you want colored contacts that also correct your vision, you are required by law to get a prescription for them. What about plano? Can your eye doctor just send in a page from his prescription pad that says "blue colored contacts"?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Default All Contact Lenses Need Prescriptions

Hello, I came across your posting and have read this question before on other forums. many people want to wear Plano colored contact lenses to enhance or change the color of their eyes, however in order to do so a prescription is required. Contact lenses are medical devices that come in direct contact with your eye balls. There are also other parameter besides the power/correction factor of the contact that needs to be considered. Since all eyes come in different shapes and sizes a doctor needs to measure the diameter and base cure of your eye to make sure the contact lens fits properly on the eye. However, if you are looking to change your eye color and would like to see the different effects certain colored lenses may have on your eye you can visit the following links below and use their interactive colored contact lens tool box. There are essentially two types of colored lenses and that is colored contact lenses and enhancement contact lenses. Colored contact lenses change the natural color of the eye where as enhancement colored contacts enhances the natural color of the eye. I hope this posting helps answer your question.

Last edited by LENS101; 06-29-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: took out promotional links
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 565
Default Thank You For Your Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatte View Post
Hello, I came across your posting and have read this question before on other forums. many people want to wear Plano colored contact lenses to enhance or change the color of their eyes, however in order to do so a prescription is required. Contact lenses are medical devices that come in direct contact with your eye balls. There are also other parameter besides the power/correction factor of the contact that needs to be considered. Since all eyes come in different shapes and sizes a doctor needs to measure the diameter and base cure of your eye to make sure the contact lens fits properly on the eye. However, if you are looking to change your eye color and would like to see the different effects certain colored lenses may have on your eye you can visit the following links below and use their interactive colored contact lens tool box. There are essentially two types of colored lenses and that is colored contact lenses and enhancement contact lenses. Colored contact lenses change the natural color of the eye where as enhancement colored contacts enhances the natural color of the eye. I hope this posting helps answer your question.
Thank you for spelling it out, Jmatte. I agree that a prescription is necessary even for plano color contact lenses, so if some website says that you can get colored contacts without a prescription, keep surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 400
Default Do You Need a Prescription for Plano Colored Contact Lenses?

This is another good thread. Thank you for your help, Jmatte and Freesa. This thread has probably helped a lot of people.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath2001 View Post
This is another good thread. Thank you for your help, Jmatte and Freesa. This thread has probably helped a lot of people.
I'm sure you're right, Goliath. I'm glad you found this thread helpful and informative.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresa View Post
I'm sure you're right, Goliath. I'm glad you found this thread helpful and informative.
It's good to have a forum that has useful information on it instead of the usual Internet blather.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 71
Default

For the safety of your good eyes, go see an eye doctor before getting a plano colored contact lens.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
For the safety of your good eyes, go see an eye doctor before getting a plano colored contact lens.
Right you are, Slade.

Are we clear on this now?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 400
Default Are We Clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlupndye View Post
Right you are, Slade.

Are we clear on this now?
Yes, do we understand that we should always consult an eye doctor before ordering contact lenses, prescription or not?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 565
Default Do You Need a Prescription for Plano Colored Contact Lenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath2001 View Post
Yes, do we understand that we should always consult an eye doctor before ordering contact lenses, prescription or not?
Maybe you can make that "consult an eye care professional." Why not just say "eye doctor"?

Here's what Wikipedia says: "An eye care professional is an individual who provides a service related to the eyes or vision. It is a general term that can refer to any healthcare worker involved in eye care, from one with a small amount of post-secondary training to practitioners with a doctoral level of education." So a person does have to have a doctorate in order to take care of your eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresa View Post
Maybe you can make that "consult an eye care professional." Why not just say "eye doctor"?

Here's what Wikipedia says: "An eye care professional is an individual who provides a service related to the eyes or vision. It is a general term that can refer to any healthcare worker involved in eye care, from one with a small amount of post-secondary training to practitioners with a doctoral level of education." So a person does have to have a doctorate in order to take care of your eyes.
Depends on what part of the world you are talking about.

In Europe an Eye Doctor does quite specific examinations. Routine examinations can be done by a Contact Lens specialist without a doctor's degree, but nevertheless has done a college level specific optical qualification, plus possibly in-house training.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresa View Post
Maybe you can make that "consult an eye care professional." Why not just say "eye doctor"?

Here's what Wikipedia says: "An eye care professional is an individual who provides a service related to the eyes or vision. It is a general term that can refer to any healthcare worker involved in eye care, from one with a small amount of post-secondary training to practitioners with a doctoral level of education." So a person does have to have a doctorate in order to take care of your eyes.
I think Fresa meant to say that a person does not have to have a doctorate to take care of your eyes.

Leave out one little three letter word and totally change the meaning of the sentence.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicegurl View Post
I think Fresa meant to say that a person does not have to have a doctorate to take care of your eyes.

Leave out one little three letter word and totally change the meaning of the sentence.
Yes, a three letter word can make a big difference, especially if that word is "not."

Thanks Spicegurl.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Depends on what part of the world you are talking about.

In Europe an Eye Doctor does quite specific examinations. Routine examinations can be done by a Contact Lens specialist without a doctor's degree, but nevertheless has done a college level specific optical qualification, plus possibly in-house training.

knotlob
So if a non-doctor can do routine examinations, what procedures separate them from those with medical degrees? What can doctors do what they can't?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlupndye View Post
So if a non-doctor can do routine examinations, what procedures separate them from those with medical degrees? What can doctors do what they can't?
If I had an eye injury (foreign object or chemical burn) that would certainly be a job for an eye doctor. Ditto for specialist laser treatment pre procedure consultations.

Glaucoma, neovascularisation, minor cataracts can be checked by a regular optician in UK/Ireland. Severe eye infections probably require an eye doctor's specialism. Severe cataracts, detached retinas and some brain medical issues, which are visible through the eye, can be diagnosed by a contact lens specialist, but would be referred to an eye doctor or in the case of brain bleeding/suspected cancers, etc. would be referred to your regular doctor. There seems to be more use of eye doctors for routine eye exams in Germany than in the UK, but an experienced contact lens practitioner can carry out a thorough Eye Health check, prior to you being fitted for contact lenses without an eye doctor's examination.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
If I had an eye injury (foreign object or chemical burn) that would certainly be a job for an eye doctor. Ditto for specialist laser treatment pre procedure consultations.

Glaucoma, neovascularisation, minor cataracts can be checked by a regular optician in UK/Ireland. Severe eye infections probably require an eye doctor's specialism. Severe cataracts, detached retinas and some brain medical issues, which are visible through the eye, can be diagnosed by a contact lens specialist, but would be referred to an eye doctor or in the case of brain bleeding/suspected cancers, etc. would be referred to your regular doctor. There seems to be more use of eye doctors for routine eye exams in Germany than in the UK, but an experienced contact lens practitioner can carry out a thorough eye health check, prior to you being fitted for contact lenses without an eye doctor's examination.

knotlob
Thanks for that, knotlob.

When I read Curlupndye's question, I was hoping for some sharp line of distinction between an eye doctor and an eye care professional who does not have a doctorate. Something like "it it involves blood, the eye doctor has to take care of it." I guess it's not so black-and-white, is it? Is it up to the ECP to make the call? "I think I'm in over my head. This looks like a job for . . . the Eye Doc!"
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresa View Post
Yes, a three letter word can make a big difference, especially if that word is "not."

Thanks Spicegurl.
I'm just doing my part to help the world of Lens 101 make a little more sense.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatte View Post
Hello, I came across your posting and have read this question before on other forums. many people want to wear Plano colored contact lenses to enhance or change the color of their eyes, however in order to do so a prescription is required. Contact lenses are medical devices that come in direct contact with your eye balls. There are also other parameter besides the power/correction factor of the contact that needs to be considered. Since all eyes come in different shapes and sizes a doctor needs to measure the diameter and base cure of your eye to make sure the contact lens fits properly on the eye. However, if you are looking to change your eye color and would like to see the different effects certain colored lenses may have on your eye you can visit the following links below and use their interactive colored contact lens tool box. There are essentially two types of colored lenses and that is colored contact lenses and enhancement contact lenses. Colored contact lenses change the natural color of the eye where as enhancement colored contacts enhances the natural color of the eye. I hope this posting helps answer your question.
Good answer Jmatte. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 78
Default Making it International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Depends on what part of the world you are talking about.

In Europe an Eye Doctor does quite specific examinations. Routine examinations can be done by a Contact Lens specialist without a doctor's degree, but nevertheless has done a college level specific optical qualification, plus possibly in-house training.

knotlob
Thanks for reminding us Yanks that the way that they do things in America is not the only way. We need that sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottchick View Post
Thanks for that, knotlob.

When I read Curlupndye's question, I was hoping for some sharp line of distinction between an eye doctor and an eye care professional who does not have a doctorate. Something like "it it involves blood, the eye doctor has to take care of it." I guess it's not so black-and-white, is it? Is it up to the ECP to make the call? "I think I'm in over my head. This looks like a job for . . . the Eye Doc!"
Good question Hottchick. What sort of situation would cause an "Eye Care Professional" without a doctorate to consult someone who has one?
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath2001 View Post
Good question Hottchick. What sort of situation would cause an "Eye Care Professional" without a doctorate to consult someone who has one?
Well, so far the answer to that questions is "I dunno."

I know we have some people on this site who are very knowledgeable about things related to eyes and eyesight, but are not actual doctors. Let's hear from them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.