Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Contact Lens Forums > General Contact Lens Care and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Contact Lens Care and Questions A discussion of the general questions related to contact lens care and application


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Genteal Eye Drops Directly on the Lenses

This is a discussion on Genteal Eye Drops Directly on the Lenses within the General Contact Lens Care and Questions forums; I read about a guy who was told by and eye doc to relieve his ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 336
Default Genteal Eye Drops Directly on the Lenses

I read about a guy who was told by and eye doc to relieve his dry eyes with something called Genteal. The doctor told him to put a drop on each contact lens just before he puts them in.
I've never heard of this practice before. Would an eye doctor ever tell a patient to put drops directly on a contact lens?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwestern United States
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichobec View Post
I read about a guy who was told by and eye doc to relieve his dry eyes with something called Genteal. The doctor told him to put a drop on each contact lens just before he puts them in.
I've never heard of this practice before. Would an eye doctor ever tell a patient to put drops directly on a contact lens?
According to Genteal's website, you are instructed to remove your contacts before you drop the stuff in, and then wait at least ten minutes before putting them back in.

Eye doctor says one thing, manufacturer's web site says another. That makes things clear mud, doesn't it?

Me personally, I think the website is just being extra careful, but if your eye doctor, who can actually look at your eyes and see how healthy they are, tells you you can put Genteal directly on your contacts, then it's probably safe.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 336
Default Doctor or Directions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
According to Genteal's website, you are instructed to remove your contacts before you drop the stuff in, and then wait at least ten minutes before putting them back in.

Eye doctor says one thing, manufacturer's web site says another. That makes things clear mud, doesn't it?

Me personally, I think the website is just being extra careful, but if your eye doctor, who can actually look at your eyes and see how healthy they are, tells you you can put Genteal directly on your contacts, then it's probably safe.
A agree Zana. I think if I were in this situation myself, I'd double check with the doctor. "Hey, Doc. You told me one thing, but the instructions on this bottle tell me something else. What's up?"
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwestern United States
Posts: 503
Default Ask Your Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichobec View Post
A agree Zana. I think if I were in this situation myself, I'd double check with the doctor. "Hey, Doc. You told me one thing, but the instructions on this bottle tell me something else. What's up?"
Exactly. It's very important to ask your doctor if you have any question. How many people just heard that announcer in their head from the TV commercials say "Ask your doctor if _______ is right for you." Always good advice.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 336
Default So We're In Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Exactly. It's very important to ask your doctor if you have any question. How many people just heard that announcer in their head from the TV commercials say "Ask your doctor if _______ is right for you." Always good advice.
Good, I'm glad we agree on this point, Zana.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 289
Default Genteal Eye Drops Directly on the Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
I too was told by one Dr. (at Lens Crafters) the same thing. Before inserting your contacts, lubricate them with one drop of ????? Genteal ????. Can't remember if that was the specific brand, as I have soooo many different kinds (my Ophthalmologist is very generous).
However, I was told by my "good" Optometrist (same office as Ophthalmologist ) -- NOT Lens Crafters -- the exact opposite; the reason it's not a good idea to use drops for mild to moderate dry eye (unless specifically stated on the box) when your contacts are in, is that it leaves an unnecessary "yucky" deposit on your lenses.
So if you've got severely dry eyes, a yucky deposit is okay?

What is your personal routine with your contact lenses? Do you put the drops in your contacts first?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 538
Default Catt's Comfy in Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
When I was wearing blue topaz expressions I would put one drop on each before inserting them; however with freshlook colors (violet), I don't need to -- they are way more comfortable than expressions.
Thanks for the information, catt. I'm glad you found some contact lenses that are so comfortable for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwestern United States
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
I too was told by one Dr. (at Lens Crafters) the same thing. Before inserting your contacts, lubricate them with one drop of ????? Genteal ????. Can't remember if that was the specific brand, as I have soooo many different kinds (my Ophthalmologist is very generous).
However, I was told by my "good" Optometrist (same office as Ophthalmologist ) -- NOT Lens Crafters -- the exact opposite; the reason it's not a good idea to use drops for mild to moderate dry eye (unless specifically stated on the box) when your contacts are in, is that it leaves an unnecessary "yucky" deposit on your lenses.
So it sounds like you used to put a drop in your contact lenses before you put them in, and then when you switched to FreshLook Colors, you didn't need eye drops, is that correct? There was no "yucky deposits" when you used to use the drops?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 245
Default No Cigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
Your statement about Freshlook Colors is correct. I simply squirt them with lens solution, and insert into the correct eye.
No, I probably did have a lot of disgusting deposits when I wore the really, really blue Expressions lenses. They never seemed to fit quite right - close, but no cigar.
Good. Cigars aren't good for you anyway.

I hear you have a thing for Rice-a-Roni.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.