Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Eye Health > General Eye Health
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Eye Health A discussion of the general issues relating to eye health ...


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

DIY H2O2 solution

This is a discussion on DIY H2O2 solution within the General Eye Health forums; Kay I'm pretty sure some people will tell me not to do this, for a ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Default DIY H2O2 solution

Kay I'm pretty sure some people will tell me not to do this, for a number or reasons. Anyway I came here and searched these forums for this exact purpose. I am a second year bio med major/ chem minor student. I'm pretty broke. I have been using clear care for I'm guessing 4 years. I recently found some off brands, but still enough is enough. I know what I'm buying and its seriously not worth the $. I could probably afford to keep buying it, but really I'm suppose to move out soon and any extra $ is helpful. SO... after searching I found this thread- http://www.lens101.com/general-eye-health/7904-homemade-contact-lens-solution.html Does anyone know of any other sites with this kind of information? Ones that are more technical. I've already looked up how to find safe H2O2, stuff that has no additives/stabilizers. I've looked into all the ingredients in clear care and its off brands. As of right now I'm looking at going with a bottle of 3% H2O2 and add the proper amount of kosher salt to reach 0.79% NaCl which is easy enough for me to figure out and measure. Everything else seems to be preservative based stuff. Correct?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 493
Default Here I Am, Telling You Not to Do This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
Kay I'm pretty sure some people will tell me not to do this, for a number or reasons. Anyway I came here and searched these forums for this exact purpose. I am a second year bio med major/ chem minor student. I'm pretty broke. I have been using clear care for I'm guessing 4 years. I recently found some off brands, but still enough is enough. I know what I'm buying and its seriously not worth the $. I could probably afford to keep buying it, but really I'm suppose to move out soon and any extra $ is helpful. SO... after searching I found this thread- http://www.lens101.com/general-eye-health/7904-homemade-contact-lens-solution.html Does anyone know of any other sites with this kind of information? Ones that are more technical. I've already looked up how to find safe H2O2, stuff that has no additives/stabilizers. I've looked into all the ingredients in clear care and its off brands. As of right now I'm looking at going with a bottle of 3% H2O2 and add the proper amount of kosher salt to reach 0.79% NaCl which is easy enough for me to figure out and measure. Everything else seems to be preservative based stuff. Correct?

Thanks for any help!
Okay, I'm having a hard time following you. I wouldn't know how, for example, to create a solution of exactly 0.79% NaCl, so I can't really tell you if you're right or wrong. I can, however, tell you that I've got some interesting medical conditions myself, and I have been in the position of being a poor college student and tried some shortcuts to save money, and learned it's not worth it risking my health. Being sick can be very expensive.

If you're going to cut corners, do so in a way that won't risk the health of your eyes. Maybe you can switch to a different brand of solution that's less expensive, try a different brand of contacts (Like daily disposables that don't need cleaning.), or--the horror--wear glasses until you're back on your feet financially. Maybe you could even explain your situation to your local pharmacist and make some kind of an arrangement.

As I said, I don't really follow your recipe, so I'd feel really bad if I said "Sure, sounds good, go ahead" and then something happened to you. My advice is going to be very conservative. Don't try and mix up your own Clear Care. You don't have to take my advice, but that's the advice I'm giving. Believe me, I'm sympathetic to your situation, and it's very tempting, but it's not worth the risk. You could create your own solution and be fine--or things could turn out very extremely not good. Yeah, you have to take risks in life, but the rewards have to be pretty powerful to outweigh the risks. From where I'm sitting, the risks you're talking about are not worth the reward of saving some money. Is this making sense?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Default

I have tried to change contact brands. But the new ones were pretty bad. I couldn't get them for the period they were suppose to without them ripping. I have been using the O2 optix. I have not had a pair of prescription glasses in about 3 years. But yeah every time I go in for an appointment they tell me I "should" have glasses. However it will cost me $180 to get them nor do I want glasses. I wear my contacts for longer than 2 weeks and pretty much from when I wake till an hour before I sleep. I've yet to have any problems with this, my prescription has actually improved slightly.

I don't really trust my eye doctor, who I see for like 5 min a year. Insurance required me to switch where I go for my prescription. Its always buy this, or buy that. Buy glasses, buy your prescription from us. I already buy my contacts online. I've looked into buying a years supply of clear care online but of course the weight screws you over with shipping.

0.79% is a weight/volume measurement. It simply means their is 0.79 grams of NaCl in every 100ml of Clear care.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
I have tried to change contact brands. But the new ones were pretty bad. I couldn't get them for the period they were suppose to without them ripping. I have been using the O2 optix. I have not had a pair of prescription glasses in about 3 years. But yeah every time I go in for an appointment they tell me I "should" have glasses. However it will cost me $180 to get them nor do I want glasses. I wear my contacts for longer than 2 weeks and pretty much from when I wake till an hour before I sleep. I've yet to have any problems with this, my prescription has actually improved slightly.

I don't really trust my eye doctor, who I see for like 5 min a year. Insurance required me to switch where I go for my prescription. Its always buy this, or buy that. Buy glasses, buy your prescription from us. I already buy my contacts online. I've looked into buying a years supply of clear care online but of course the weight screws you over with shipping.

0.79% is a weight/volume measurement. It simply means their is 0.79 grams of NaCl in every 100ml of Clear care.
Well you're braver than I am, Curiositykat. Of course, I don't mix chemical professionally, and maybe you do, but I'd be very afraid to put something in my eye that I'd mixed up in the kitchen. I'd be far more content to just buy the Clear Care and spend the money on peace of mind. (Shrug.) To each his own, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Alright so I would just like to report back today that so far so good. I used the stuff I made last night and put my contacts in about 30 min ago. I could barely tell the difference. Was not as comfey as clear care, but pretty much equal to the feeling of the Target UP & Up hydrogen peroxide solution. Way better than any MPS solution most of which I find very uncomfortable.

I do have a question for you guys though. What pH should I be makeing my solution at? I'm guessing their is an ideal pH. My only issue with the stuff I made is it measures much lower then all the other store bought solution. I'm looking at somewhere below a pH of 6.0 since that is as low as my kit can test. The target stuff tests 6.3ish, clear care tests 6.6 then 6.8 after neutralization. Renu tests 6.6 as well. I can raise the pH of my solution to whatever, so whats the best pH?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
Alright so I would just like to report back today that so far so good. I used the stuff I made last night and put my contacts in about 30 min ago. I could barely tell the difference. Was not as comfey as clear care, but pretty much equal to the feeling of the Target UP & Up hydrogen peroxide solution. Way better than any MPS solution most of which I find very uncomfortable.

I do have a question for you guys though. What pH should I be makeing my solution at? I'm guessing their is an ideal pH. My only issue with the stuff I made is it measures much lower then all the other store bought solution. I'm looking at somewhere below a pH of 6.0 since that is as low as my kit can test. The target stuff tests 6.3ish, clear care tests 6.6 then 6.8 after neutralization. Renu tests 6.6 as well. I can raise the pH of my solution to whatever, so whats the best pH?
Hello Curiositykat

I have made my own hydrogen peroxide solution for nigh on 30 years, but I am degree trained in Applied Chemistry & Environmental Management. I also have access to ultra, ultra pure water. I buy my salt and peroxide (30%) as analar grade from my local chemist. I don't try to adjust the pH and have never measured it. Obviously, it is completely free of preservatives.

However, although when I lived in Canada I used these platinum/palladium catalysts, now that I am in Europe I use a catalase, optician bought, solution to neutralise the peroxide in the morning.

Of course opticians all throw up their hands in horror and site dire warnings of mercury contamination and the impending end of life on earth as we know it (until I explain my situation). I would suggest my peroxide is far purer than any stuff I can buy in the shops.

If you live in the US you probably can't buy the catalase based neutralising solution, so will be stuck with the catalase tablet or the platinum/palladium catalyst.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
Kay I'm pretty sure some people will tell me not to do this, for a number or reasons. Anyway I came here and searched these forums for this exact purpose. I am a second year bio med major/ chem minor student. I'm pretty broke. I have been using clear care for I'm guessing 4 years. I recently found some off brands, but still enough is enough. I know what I'm buying and its seriously not worth the $. I could probably afford to keep buying it, but really I'm suppose to move out soon and any extra $ is helpful.

Thanks for any help!
I'm glad you're finding this site helpful. I have to ask though, if you're pinching pennies, are you sure contact lenses are the way to go? I mean, glasses may not be as sexy, but you don't have to buy cleaning solution for them either. If you've got money, sure you can buy a little spray bottle of glasses cleaner, but if you're broke, you wipe them on your shirt. One pair of glasses can last for years, too. Wouldn't you agree?

Glasses can be sexy too. I mean, come on. Tina Fey. Need I say more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 858542_f520.jpg (47.9 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 557
Default Saving Money With Eyeglasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichobec View Post
I'm glad you're finding this site helpful. I have to ask though, if you're pinching pennies, are you sure contact lenses are the way to go? I mean, glasses may not be as sexy, but you don't have to buy cleaning solution for them either. If you've got money, sure you can buy a little spray bottle of glasses cleaner, but if you're broke, you wipe them on your shirt. One pair of glasses can last for years, too. Wouldn't you agree?

Glasses can be sexy too. I mean, come on. Tina Fey. Need I say more?
Thanks for that picture of Tina Fey. She makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

I did a little searching and a bottle of Clear Care is less than ten dollars. Even in my poor college days I could afford ten bucks. I don't know how long one bottle will last, but I'm sure you won't have to buy a new bottle more often than every few weeks.

You could make the lenses and the solution last longer by skipping a day once in a while, or even wearing your contacts every other day if your vision isn't too terrible.

As for the glasses idea, that's fine if you already have glasses you can use, but new glasses can be expensive, too. On the plus side, you don't have to buy new glasses every week or month like you do with contact lenses. You save your pennies, get a pair of glasses and you should be set for at least a year, and no mixing of chemicals is required. There are much better options than trying to concoct your own homemade contact lens solution.
(Perhaps there may be some brown lunch bags in your future.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lunchLinkLearnPhoto.jpg (18.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 493
Default I Have Reservations--But I'll Eat Here Anyway

How is it going Curiositykat? Is your homemade brew doing its thing?

You sound like you know what you're doing, but I still can't approve of your do-it-yourself contact lens solution. Without having a licensed chemist looking over your shoulder and reporting on your progress as you prepare your concoction, I just can't sanction it. You're probably going to do what you want to do anyway, but I just want to make it clear that I--along with some other Lens 101 screen names--have my reservations.

I wish you well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boychemset.jpg (17.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Default

I'm over half way through my first 32oz bottle. I don't have any complaints. My eyes have not bothered me one bit. I will have a better opinion when classes start up again this week. That always means more work and less sleep.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
I'm over half way through my first 32oz bottle. I don't have any complaints. My eyes have not bothered me one bit. I will have a better opinion when classes start up again this week. That always means more work and less sleep.
It sounds like you've successfully made your own batch of Clear Care-like solution, but it makes me very nervous that someone who doesn't have the education and access to the proper ingredients that you do will try it themselves--with painful results. You know how people are. They see the guy on TV set himself on fire and they want to try it. There's a reason why all those TV shows tell you "Don't try this at home", because you can bet that people will.


So listen up boys and girls. I know Curiositykat is trying to be helpful, but making your own solution to clean your contact lenses must be done very carefully. I don't think it's worth it. Just buy the stuff and don't be so cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 336
Default Unsinkabe Faith in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
Kay I'm pretty sure some people will tell me not to do this, for a number or reasons. Anyway I came here and searched these forums for this exact purpose. I am a second year bio med major/ chem minor student. I'm pretty broke.

I have been using clear care for I'm guessing 4 years. I recently found some off brands, but still enough is enough. I know what I'm buying and its seriously not worth the $.

I could probably afford to keep buying it, but really I'm suppose to move out soon and any extra $ is helpful. SO... after searching I found this thread- http://www.lens101.com/general-eye-health/7904-homemade-contact-lens-solution.html Does anyone know of any other sites with this kind of information? Ones that are more technical. I've already looked up how to find safe H2O2, stuff that has no additives/stabilizers. I've looked into all the ingredients in clear care and its off brands. As of right now I'm looking at going with a bottle of 3% H2O2 and add the proper amount of kosher salt to reach 0.79% NaCl which is easy enough for me to figure out and measure. Everything else seems to be preservative based stuff. Correct?

Thanks for any help!
Your post is filled with red flags, Curiositykat.

First one is the phrase "I'm pretty broke." I remember my broke college days. I did some dumb things to save money. Don't go down that road.

"I know what I'm buying and its seriously not worth the $." Buying it is one thing. Combining the ingredients is another thing entirely. Have you ever had a recipe go badly? I've had some go horribly wrong, and that was with all the ingredients and instructions. Nobody's going to give you instructions on how to make your own Clear Care.

All we need now is a dash of "What could go wrong?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg titanic.article.jpg (23.9 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichobec View Post
Your post is filled with red flags, Curiositykat.

First one is the phrase "I'm pretty broke." I remember my broke college days. I did some dumb things to save money. Don't go down that road.

"I know what I'm buying and its seriously not worth the $." Buying it is one thing. Combining the ingredients is another thing entirely. Have you ever had a recipe go badly? I've had some go horribly wrong, and that was with all the ingredients and instructions. Nobody's going to give you instructions on how to make your own Clear Care.

All we need now is a dash of "What could go wrong?"
I think we can take it that Curiositykat is qualified to make the peroxide solution him/herself, provided it is sourced from the right place - e.g. analar grade salt and peroxide. University should have suitable pure distilled water fro free. It isn't rocket science if you are trained in chemistry and similar sciences.

I am not sure how cheap it will be overall because you still need a neutraliser and if you buy Aosept or Clear Care platinum/palladium catalyst disks they will probably still work out expensive.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
I think we can take it that Curiositykat is qualified to make the peroxide solution him/herself, provided it is sourced from the right place - e.g. analar grade salt and peroxide. University should have suitable pure distilled water fro free. It isn't rocket science if you are trained in chemistry and similar sciences.

I am not sure how cheap it will be overall because you still need a neutraliser and if you buy Aosept or Clear Care platinum/palladium catalyst disks they will probably still work out expensive.

knotlob
I dunno. I'd rather just buy a bottle at the store. As much as I try, I'm not much of a do-it-myselfer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diy_disaster.jpg (59.1 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Default Yearly Exam!

Well Update time!

First off I like that last picture, but I am way past building shelves and what not. Most of my wooded DIY projects must be much more trustworthy then that. They are generally stands for aquariums or house light fixtures above water. If you think some broken china is bad you should see what 20+ gallons of water can do if it ever comes crashing down. Luckily I've never had to deal with such a situation. I like the saying "DIY or die", though I may not take it completely in that sense lol. I have considerable experience with auto repair, computer repair, wood work, "home improvement", and all things aquarium. Minor experience with electrical, which is why the fuse and GFCI were made .

I understand all the dangers of doing anything yourself. There is inherent risk in every action and you must weight those risks in any decision making. Once you make a choice you must always stay aware of the risks. Just because I enjoy DIY does not mean I am qualified for any task I attempt. And just because one or a few people have had success with doing something doesn't diminish the risks involved. Just because something is currently successful doesn't mean it will remain so down the road.

So back to contact solution. It has been almost 5 months since I very first used the DIY H2O2 solution I made. Though I did not switch directly from one too the other. I kinda hoped back and forth till I ran out of the stuff I bought. I always have a back up bottle of a MPS though. I have used roughly 36oz of the stuff I have made. Cost to make a 32oz bottle remains under $2. As far as the disks, I got lots of the clear care neutralizing cases, 6 to be exact. Since they catalyze the neutralization experiment they will keep working. My system so far is they are all labeled with tape a number and contents. I use one at a time. The rest are filled with 91% isoproply alcohol and stored that way. I switch them monthly. New ones get the alcohol dumped out and rinsed with fresh alcohol then set out to dry. The alcohol will completely evaporate and its good to use. As far as actually wearing my contacts I have not had any problems with them. I won't lie about my routine either. As of lately I get 7-6.5 hours of sleep. Contacts are out for maybe 8-7 hours on average then worn basically from morning to rest. I try to give 30 minuets between sleeping and putting in contacts for both morning and night. I much prefer to eat breakfast half blind for some reason. Still no glasses and I don't see them anytime soon, unless they magically fall from the sky.

So today I had my yearly eye exam. My perscription is currently expired, but I still have 4.5 pairs of contacts I haven't used. My eye exam went fine apart from all the blinding lights. They say my eye sight is still improving, why IDK. This is for sure the second year it has improved, possibly the third year. I still have single contact from way last year that is -3.50, current ones I have been using are -3.25, and new ones I am assuming are going to be -3.00. I have a trial pair in ATM, but I never did see what power they were. So, so far so good, but refer to the second paragraph again.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiositykat View Post
Well Update time!

First off I like that last picture, but I am way past building shelves and what not. Most of my wooded DIY projects must be much more trustworthy then that. They are generally stands for aquariums or house light fixtures above water. If you think some broken china is bad you should see what 20+ gallons of water can do if it ever comes crashing down. Luckily I've never had to deal with such a situation. I like the saying "DIY or die", though I may not take it completely in that sense lol. I have considerable experience with auto repair, computer repair, wood work, "home improvement", and all things aquarium. Minor experience with electrical, which is why the fuse and GFCI were made .

I understand all the dangers of doing anything yourself. There is inherent risk in every action and you must weight those risks in any decision making. Once you make a choice you must always stay aware of the risks. Just because I enjoy DIY does not mean I am qualified for any task I attempt. And just because one or a few people have had success with doing something doesn't diminish the risks involved. Just because something is currently successful doesn't mean it will remain so down the road.

So back to contact solution. It has been almost 5 months since I very first used the DIY H2O2 solution I made. Though I did not switch directly from one too the other. I kinda hoped back and forth till I ran out of the stuff I bought. I always have a back up bottle of a MPS though. I have used roughly 36oz of the stuff I have made. Cost to make a 32oz bottle remains under $2. As far as the disks, I got lots of the clear care neutralizing cases, 6 to be exact. Since they catalyze the neutralization experiment they will keep working. My system so far is they are all labeled with tape a number and contents. I use one at a time. The rest are filled with 91% isoproply alcohol and stored that way. I switch them monthly. New ones get the alcohol dumped out and rinsed with fresh alcohol then set out to dry. The alcohol will completely evaporate and its good to use. As far as actually wearing my contacts I have not had any problems with them. I won't lie about my routine either. As of lately I get 7-6.5 hours of sleep. Contacts are out for maybe 8-7 hours on average then worn basically from morning to rest. I try to give 30 minuets between sleeping and putting in contacts for both morning and night. I much prefer to eat breakfast half blind for some reason. Still no glasses and I don't see them anytime soon, unless they magically fall from the sky.

So today I had my yearly eye exam. My perscription is currently expired, but I still have 4.5 pairs of contacts I haven't used. My eye exam went fine apart from all the blinding lights. They say my eye sight is still improving, why IDK. This is for sure the second year it has improved, possibly the third year. I still have single contact from way last year that is -3.50, current ones I have been using are -3.25, and new ones I am assuming are going to be -3.00. I have a trial pair in ATM, but I never did see what power they were. So, so far so good, but refer to the second paragraph again.
Thanks for the update Curiositykat. I read over this thread with a great deal of interest. I suppose you've been sufficiently warned now so that if something doesn go wrong, (I hope nothing does.) you can't sue Lens 101 and say they didn't warn you.

The only remaining concern I have is someone else not as careful as you trying to imitate you anyway. People have been known to do things like that.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 321
Default I Won't Mess it Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichobec View Post
Thanks for the update Curiositykat. I read over this thread with a great deal of interest. I suppose you've been sufficiently warned now so that if something doesn go wrong, (I hope nothing does.) you can't sue Lens 101 and say they didn't warn you.

The only remaining concern I have is someone else not as careful as you trying to imitate you anyway. People have been known to do things like that.
I don't know. I just can't condone anyone making their own contact lens solution, and I certainly can't condone someone coming on a public forum like this one and saying "This is how I did it. Nothing to it" There are all kinds of things that can go wrong.

Not to make light of the potential risks of home made cleaning solution, but just check out these goobers on YouTube who can't even figure out between the two of them how to wash a Jeep. Simple task, disastrous results. http://mashable.com/2009/08/22/youtube-fail/ "How Not to Wash A Car."
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillersLastChance View Post
I don't know. I just can't condone anyone making their own contact lens solution, and I certainly can't condone someone coming on a public forum like this one and saying "This is how I did it. Nothing to it" There are all kinds of things that can go wrong.

Not to make light of the potential risks of home made cleaning solution, but just check out these goobers on YouTube who can't even figure out between the two of them how to wash a Jeep. Simple task, disastrous results. http://mashable.com/2009/08/22/youtube-fail/ "How Not to Wash A Car."
So would you also say that everything else should be left to the so called "professionals".

Is it all right to put a plug on a new electrical appliance?

What about changing a car wheel when you have a puncture or doing some of your own car maintenance?

What about home decorating.

These all involve some risk to the stupid or careless, electric shock, not tightening wheel nuts properly or just falling off a ladder.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
So would you also say that everything else should be left to the so called "professionals".

Is it all right to put a plug on a new electrical appliance?

What about changing a car wheel when you have a puncture or doing some of your own car maintenance?

What about home decorating.

These all involve some risk to the stupid or careless, electric shock, not tightening wheel nuts properly or just falling off a ladder.

knotlob
OK, would you say that mixing up your own solution is as easy as plugging in an electrical appliance? A nine year old can do that. Can you say the same about concocting your own hydrogen peroxide contact lens solution?

I've never tried making my own solution because I'm intimidated by the idea of putting some in my eyes that I cooked up myself, but maybe it's really, really easy. Is it? If your average Lens 101 member was "beamed" into your home like on Star Trek, do you think he or she could be mixing their own contact lens solution in one easy lesson?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBonita View Post
OK, would you say that mixing up your own solution is as easy as plugging in an electrical appliance? A nine year old can do that. Can you say the same about concocting your own hydrogen peroxide contact lens solution?

I've never tried making my own solution because I'm intimidated by the idea of putting some in my eyes that I cooked up myself, but maybe it's really, really easy. Is it? If your average Lens 101 member was "beamed" into your home like on Star Trek, do you think he or she could be mixing their own contact lens solution in one easy lesson?
I didn't say plugging in an electrical appliance - I said putting on a plug - i.e. wiring up a plug, which means getting the red, black & green or whatever colour is used for the three wires in your country, the correct way round - potentially far more dangerous than making up your own lens solution I think.

When I was 9 years old, I could probably do that because I had watched my father wire plugs and also had a children's electrical toy kit as a present earlier, so knew the basics of electrics. But like making up peroxide, you have to know the correct conventions and procedure.

As a trained chemist/chemical engineer, yes making up contact lens peroxide is as easy as wiring up a plug for me.

None of the above tasks would be easy if someone hadn't shown you how and I've always said, you do need to know and understand what you are doing.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
I didn't say plugging in an electrical appliance - I said putting on a plug - i.e. wiring up a plug, which means getting the red, black & green or whatever colour is used for the three wires in your country, the correct way round - potentially far more dangerous than making up your own lens solution I think.

When I was 9 years old, I could probably do that because I had watched my father wire plugs and also had a children's electrical toy kit as a present earlier, so knew the basics of electrics. But like making up peroxide, you have to know the correct conventions and procedure.

As a trained chemist/chemical engineer, yes making up contact lens peroxide is as easy as wiring up a plug for me.

None of the above tasks would be easy if someone hadn't shown you how and I've always said, you do need to know and understand what you are doing.

knotlob
To rephrase a previous question of yours, is making peroxide solution for your contact lenses something that's best left to people who are trained to work with potentially dangerous chemicals?

I'm with AmigaBonita. I don't think instructions for making your own lens solution is something that belongs on Lens 101. Maybe a chemist's site or a DIY forum for people with experience with mixing chemicals, but not a basic site aimed toward Joe (or Heidi) Contact Lens Wearer. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire-hazchem-cleanup.jpg (19.6 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxFan View Post
To rephrase a previous question of yours, is making peroxide solution for your contact lenses something that's best left to people who are trained to work with potentially dangerous chemicals?

I'm with AmigaBonita. I don't think instructions for making your own lens solution is something that belongs on Lens 101. Maybe a chemist's site or a DIY forum for people with experience with mixing chemicals, but not a basic site aimed toward Joe (or Heidi) Contact Lens Wearer. What do you think?
Well I haven't, as far as I recall, posted any instructions (i.e. the quantities of each component) on how to make my own peroxide solution for contact lenses, but I have said that I have in the past made my own for several years. I don't use peroxide at present as I wear RGP and would need a separate conditioner as well.

Having said that I don't see any reason why someone who does know and understand what they are doing, shouldn't have the choice of whether to make their own or to buy ready made. It's not dangerous if you know what you are doing.

I don't regard 3% or 6% hydrogen peroxide as being particularly dangerous, though 30% peroxide is. But you may have a problem persuading a pharmacist to sell you that now, particularly in the light of it's potential use in terrorist bombs.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Well I haven't, as far as I recall, posted any instructions (i.e. the quantities of each component) on how to make my own peroxide solution for contact lenses, but I have said that I have in the past made my own for several years. I don't use peroxide at present as I wear RGP and would need a separate conditioner as well.

Having said that I don't see any reason why someone who does know and understand what they are doing, shouldn't have the choice of whether to make their own or to buy ready made. It's not dangerous if you know what you are doing.

I don't regard 3% or 6% hydrogen peroxide as being particularly dangerous, though 30% peroxide is. But you may have a problem persuading a pharmacist to sell you that now, particularly in the light of it's potential use in terrorist bombs.

knotlob
This has become a long thread, so there's a lot of scrolling up to see just exactly what was written.
You're right knotlob, I didn't see any specific instructions that said "add 10 ml of this to one liter of that" or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Well I haven't, as far as I recall, posted any instructions (i.e. the quantities of each component) on how to make my own peroxide solution for contact lenses, but I have said that I have in the past made my own for several years. I don't use peroxide at present as I wear RGP and would need a separate conditioner as well.

Having said that I don't see any reason why someone who does know and understand what they are doing, shouldn't have the choice of whether to make their own or to buy ready made. It's not dangerous if you know what you are doing.

I don't regard 3% or 6% hydrogen peroxide as being particularly dangerous, though 30% peroxide is. But you may have a problem persuading a pharmacist to sell you that now, particularly in the light of it's potential use in terrorist bombs.

knotlob
This thread makes me nervous because there's not much room for error. I'm not an eye doctor, but I still don't think it's a good idea for people to put something in their eyes that they mixed up themselves using instructions they found on the Internet; even a good site like Lens 101.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 470
Default

Boy, scrolling down this thread gives you one disaster after another.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBonita View Post
Boy, scrolling down this thread gives you one disaster after another.
I was just thinking about the great variety of pictures on this site.

How about a random picture of a dog wearing glasses (Lens 101!) and using a laptop computer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog2.jpg (81.0 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.