Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Eye Health > General Eye Health
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Eye Health A discussion of the general issues relating to eye health ...


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Red eye after removing contacts/next day

This is a discussion on Red eye after removing contacts/next day within the General Eye Health forums; Hi all - This happens to me once in a while and I'm hoping someone ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
lst lst is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Default Red eye after removing contacts/next day

Hi all - This happens to me once in a while and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I wear Air Optix Aqua for Astigmatism in the left eye and regular Air Optix in the right. Not an especially high prescription in either eye.

I'll wake up in the morning with a bit of pinkness around the left cornea. The pinkness will be much worse and become itchy after getting out of the shower. At that point I'll usually skip wearing the left lens for a day (or two). Then it goes away. My right eye has never had this issue.

I don't think it's a problem with the solution (Clear Care), eye drops (Blink, Thera Tears). I've started rubbing the lenses even with the clear care just to be extra safe (I'm careful not to get the Clear Care in either eye).

I spoke to my eye doc a while back. He said he didn't see anything that concerned him. He thought it may be removal trauma - basically the lens sticks to my eye and i pull off a thin layer of cells when i take the lens out. He couldn't provide any definite answers though.

The only difference between the left and right lenses is the fact the left one is a toric lens. Is this sort of thing more of an issue with toric lenses?

Anyone else experience this?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Default Irritaion in One Eye With Air Optix Aqua for Astigmatism

Quote:
Originally Posted by lst View Post
Hi all - This happens to me once in a while and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I wear Air Optix Aqua for Astigmatism in the left eye and regular Air Optix in the right. Not an especially high prescription in either eye.

I'll wake up in the morning with a bit of pinkness around the left cornea. The pinkness will be much worse and become itchy after getting out of the shower. At that point I'll usually skip wearing the left lens for a day (or two). Then it goes away. My right eye has never had this issue.

I don't think it's a problem with the solution (Clear Care), eye drops (Blink, Thera Tears). I've started rubbing the lenses even with the clear care just to be extra safe (I'm careful not to get the Clear Care in either eye).

I spoke to my eye doc a while back. He said he didn't see anything that concerned him. He thought it may be removal trauma - basically the lens sticks to my eye and i pull off a thin layer of cells when i take the lens out. He couldn't provide any definite answers though.

The only difference between the left and right lenses is the fact the left one is a toric lens. Is this sort of thing more of an issue with toric lenses?

Anyone else experience this?
Thanks for joining us, lst.

Since the lens that's giving you trouble is a toric lens, the only major thing I can think of that makes it different from the other lens is the weighted ballast that keeps the lens from rotating out of alignment. If it should rotate out of position, a blink or two should correct it. Maybe the rotating motion of the lens is the reason for your irritation.
Of course, your eye doctor has actually examined your eyes, and presumably knows what he's looking at. His explanation of "removal trauma" is probably better than mine.

What is your prescription in the toric lens? If it's 'not . . . especially high" then maybe you can wear Air Optix lenses in both eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriBrown View Post
Thanks for joining us, lst.

Since the lens that's giving you trouble is a toric lens, the only major thing I can think of that makes it different from the other lens is the weighted ballast that keeps the lens from rotating out of alignment. If it should rotate out of position, a blink or two should correct it. Maybe the rotating motion of the lens is the reason for your irritation.
Of course, your eye doctor has actually examined your eyes, and presumably knows what he's looking at. His explanation of "removal trauma" is probably better than mine.

What is your prescription in the toric lens? If it's 'not . . . especially high" then maybe you can wear Air Optix lenses in both eyes.
I was thinking the same thing, PeriBrown. Something to do with the contact lens ballast.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 22
Default

I think one possible reason your left eye may feel less comfortable than your right eye is that you may have more astigmatism in your left eye. This is what I feel.

The other possibility is that your left lens is scratched, but the optician should have seen that if he has checked the lenses.

Have you tried swapping lenses over from right to left (don't get them mixed up though)? If the discomfort shifts to the other eye that may suggest a lens problem (but of course will depend on the prescription for each lens).
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 393
Default Try the Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatreenaRose View Post
Have you tried swapping lenses over from right to left (don't get them mixed up though)? If the discomfort shifts to the other eye that may suggest a lens problem (but of course will depend on the prescription for each lens).
Yes, MatreenaRose has a good idea. If you swap lenses and you feel the discomfort in the other eye, then you know it's the lens and not your eye that's causing the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 292
Default Half a Year Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by lst View Post
Hi all - This happens to me once in a while and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I wear Air Optix Aqua for Astigmatism in the left eye and regular Air Optix in the right. Not an especially high prescription in either eye.

I'll wake up in the morning with a bit of pinkness around the left cornea. The pinkness will be much worse and become itchy after getting out of the shower. At that point I'll usually skip wearing the left lens for a day (or two). Then it goes away. My right eye has never had this issue.

I don't think it's a problem with the solution (Clear Care), eye drops (Blink, Thera Tears). I've started rubbing the lenses even with the clear care just to be extra safe (I'm careful not to get the Clear Care in either eye).

I spoke to my eye doc a while back. He said he didn't see anything that concerned him. He thought it may be removal trauma - basically the lens sticks to my eye and i pull off a thin layer of cells when i take the lens out. He couldn't provide any definite answers though.

The only difference between the left and right lenses is the fact the left one is a toric lens. Is this sort of thing more of an issue with toric lenses?

Anyone else experience this?
It's been about six months or so, lst. What's the latest?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lst View Post
Hi all - This happens to me once in a while and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I wear Air Optix Aqua for Astigmatism in the left eye and regular Air Optix in the right. Not an especially high prescription in either eye.

I'll wake up in the morning with a bit of pinkness around the left cornea. The pinkness will be much worse and become itchy after getting out of the shower. At that point I'll usually skip wearing the left lens for a day (or two). Then it goes away. My right eye has never had this issue.
Hmm . . . might the shower have something to do with this? Do you only experience the pinkness and itch after you take your morning shower?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 45
Default

I wondered the same. Whatever one uses in the shower, not only soap, shampoo dripping down face, or even the probably 100% humidity that exists in there and whatever other cleaning agents which have evaporated into the mist.

So, let me get this straight though, a "scratched lens" is necessarily going to cause pain? Or does it just prevent the lens wearer from seeing well? Once at the end of the life of a lens I noticed it was hurting. When I removed it, there was a line across the center of it, as if it were scratched or even on the verge of tearing. I never put the two things together -- the pain & the (damaged, or scratched) appearance of the lens I was discarding.

Can anyone who has had experience with a scratched or torn lens let me know if it can be felt by the eye? I just assumed vision would be ruined, but now wondering if this is the root of a couple of problems I've had
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
I wondered the same. Whatever one uses in the shower, not only soap, shampoo dripping down face, or even the probably 100% humidity that exists in there and whatever other cleaning agents which have evaporated into the mist.

So, let me get this straight though, a "scratched lens" is necessarily going to cause pain? Or does it just prevent the lens wearer from seeing well? Once at the end of the life of a lens I noticed it was hurting. When I removed it, there was a line across the center of it, as if it were scratched or even on the verge of tearing. I never put the two things together -- the pain & the (damaged, or scratched) appearance of the lens I was discarding.

Can anyone who has had experience with a scratched or torn lens let me know if it can be felt by the eye? I just assumed vision would be ruined, but now wondering if this is the root of a couple of problems I've had
Though it's never happened to me personally, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a scratched lens can be felt while it was being worn.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshock View Post
Though it's never happened to me personally, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a scratched lens can be felt while it was being worn.
It hasn't happened to me either. Has anyone reading this page ever experienced a scratched contact lens?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriBrown View Post
It hasn't happened to me either. Has anyone reading this page ever experienced a scratched contact lens?
I'd like to see this thread get longer, but not because people have horror stories about a scratched contact lens. So it's okay to chime in with "Nope, not me," or even "I thought I'd scratched my lens once, but I was mistaken."
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshock View Post
I'd like to see this thread get longer, but not because people have horror stories about a scratched contact lens. So it's okay to chime in with "Nope, not me," or even "I thought I'd scratched my lens once, but I was mistaken."
Can I still say "nope, not me"?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshock View Post
I'd like to see this thread get longer, but not because people have horror stories about a scratched contact lens. So it's okay to chime in with "Nope, not me," or even "I thought I'd scratched my lens once, but I was mistaken."
That's a good idea, Earthshock. I hope it works.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.