Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Eye Health > General Eye Health
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Eye Health A discussion of the general issues relating to eye health ...


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
  #1  
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 AM
AllTracTurbo AllTracTurbo is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Default Wore one pair of contacs 24/7 for over a year

As the title says, I wore the same pair of contacts 24 hours a day for over a year. I think it has been 13 months and if I remember correcty I removed them 2 nights in that time. The contacts I wear are "Encore premium" (same as Frequency 55 aspheric).

I have never had a problem with my contacts. Ever since the first day I put them in at the doctors office, they have been very comfortable and I could forget there even there. I wear them all night without a problem and don't have dry eyes when I wake up. I have been wearing contacts for about 3 years and have never needed to use eye drops.

I only wore them that long b/c that was my last pair and I can't really afford to get another eye exam b/c i'm too lazy to get a job. I finally lost one of the contacts and i'm stuck with not being able to see. My vision isn't too bad though. The contacts I wear are -1.50

I keep reading articles and other people saying not to wear contacts overnight or for longer than prescribed b/c it can scratch your eyes and/or cause an infection.

I was just wondering if I did do damage to my eyes, would I be able to tell without seeing an eye doctor? I would imagine there would be symptoms and I would notice an infection, but what about scratches? They have been out since yesterday and my eyes feel completely normal.


[Disclaimer]I'm not advising anyone to wear their contacts longer than prescribed. Just sharing my experiance. Wear at your own risk.[/Disclaimer]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Louise31 Louise31 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 45
Default

Surely they were uncomfortable werent they? Mine start to tighten if left in for more than a week!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 AM
AllTracTurbo AllTracTurbo is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Nope, like I said above, i've never had a problem with them. They were always comfortable. I've never even used eye drops either. I still have the unopened bottle of eye drops that my eye doctor gave me on the first day I went to get contatcs.

The only time I ever noticed them get a little uncomfortable is when I would play guitar hero on fast songs and I would stop blinking for a while. I could tell they started to dry out and I would have to pause the game a blink a few times for them to go back to normal.

If you have problems with them after a week, you are probably wearing different contacts than I am. The ones I wear are meant to be worn for a month (if you take them out every night).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
LittleElvis LittleElvis is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default 24/7 Contact Lens Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTracTurbo View Post
As the title says, I wore the same pair of contacts 24 hours a day for over a year. I think it has been 13 months and if I remember correctly I removed them 2 nights in that time. The contacts I wear are "Encore premium" (same as Frequency 55 aspheric).

I have never had a problem with my contacts. Ever since the first day I put them in at the doctors office, they have been very comfortable and I could forget there even there. I wear them all night without a problem and don't have dry eyes when I wake up. I have been wearing contacts for about 3 years and have never needed to use eye drops.

I only wore them that long b/c that was my last pair and I can't really afford to get another eye exam b/c I'm too lazy to get a job. I finally lost one of the contacts and I'm stuck with not being able to see. My vision isn't too bad though. The contacts I wear are -1.50

I keep reading articles and other people saying not to wear contacts overnight or for longer than prescribed b/c it can scratch your eyes and/or cause an infection.

I was just wondering if I did do damage to my eyes, would I be able to tell without seeing an eye doctor? I would imagine there would be symptoms and I would notice an infection, but what about scratches? They have been out since yesterday and my eyes feel completely normal.


[Disclaimer]I'm not advising anyone to wear their contacts longer than prescribed. Just sharing my experience. Wear at your own risk.[/Disclaimer]
See, that's the thing. Lots of people wear contact lenses for longer than they are supposed to because it feels okay, even though damage is being done. How many people have gone in for a routine medical exam feeling great, only to be immediately hospitalized for some serious condition that was diagnosed "just in time"?

If you haven't done so already, please see your eye care professional. I hope your eyes are okay, but only a trained professional can tell you for sure. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
AllTracTurbo AllTracTurbo is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Default

I don't have the money to see my eye doctor. I did get more contacts though. Ordered them online and they sent them without any problems. Another 6 pairs, I should be good for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
HorseLuvr HorseLuvr is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 402
Default 24/7 Contact Lens Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTracTurbo View Post
I don't have the money to see my eye doctor. I did get more contacts though. Ordered them online and they sent them without any problems. Another 6 pairs, I should be good for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTracTurbo View Post
I only wore them [for a year] b/c that was my last pair and I can't really afford to get another eye exam b/c I'm too lazy to get a job.
Aren't you supposed to have a valid prescription to order more contact lenses? I think that's required by law, isn't it?

The job thing may not be a bad idea either. I'm just sayin' . . .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Stairwaytoheaven Stairwaytoheaven is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default To:AllTracTurbo

Okay ... this is a joke, isn't it?
You have a computer, but no job. You can afford contacts but not a visit to the eye doctor. Something is fishy here.

Ya know, if you get a job, they'd cover the cost of the doctor and new contacts and you wouldn't have to take risks.

But I'm guessing you're a guy (a young guy) who likes living on the edge because you think you're invincible.

Don't take such chances with your eyes. Have you ever thought about losing your eyesight for real? That would not be good at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
AllTracTurbo AllTracTurbo is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
Aren't you supposed to have a valid prescription to order more contact lenses? I think that's required by law, isn't it?
Yes, it is required by law. Before I ordered them I was doing some research and found that in some states your prescription expires after a year and in other states it lasts for 2 years. I'm not even sure if I have had an exam in the last two years.

I never looked up if NY is one or two years. I just figured there is no negative effect from trying to order them. All they can do is decline my order. So I ordered them and they sent them.

I don't know if NY is a two year state or if the website I ordered them from just didn't check with my doctor. I also read on another website, but don't know if it is true, that if your eye doctor doesn't respond within 8 hours they can send the contacts without the prescription. Maybe that happened.

I read the 8 hour rule on a websites FAQ page for ordering contacts. I don't know where I found it, but you can just look up "Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act". Here is a page I just found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/06/contactlens.shtm
if the prescriber does not respond within eight business hours to the seller’s verification request – so-called “passive verification."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairwaytoheaven
Okay ... this is a joke, isn't it?
You have a computer, but no job. You can afford contacts but not a visit to the eye doctor. Something is fishy here.

Ya know, if you get a job, they'd cover the cost of the doctor and new contacts and you wouldn't have to take risks.

But I'm guessing you're a guy (a young guy) who likes living on the edge because you think you're invincible.

Don't take such chances with your eyes. Have you ever thought about losing your eyesight for real? That would not be good at all.
No, this is not a joke, I did wear them for 13 months.

No, I don't think i'm invincible.

I'm a 21 year old bum living with my parents with no job. Yes, I know it is pitiful, but I have no desire to get a job right now. I always use to work and have always provided for myself. I woked full time for a long time and didn't spend much money. During that time I saved a lot of money and that is what I have been living off of since I stopped working. My parents do not give me money, I just got rid of all my bills and spend as little as possible.

I know they do not approve of it and have had many arguments with them, but that is not what this thread is about and I don't want to talk to anyone here about it, so lets keep this thread about the contacts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Stairwaytoheaven Stairwaytoheaven is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default Wore one pair of contacs 24/7 for over a year

Okay, I agree, this is about the contacts and not you having a job.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break from being a working stiff, but there is a problem that you're sacrificing your health for it.

I urge you to find a clinic where they will give you a discounted or free eye exam. One of the beauties of being unemployed is that there are many services out there that cater to people who don't have insurance or the resources to pay for doctor visits.

Call your Village or Town Hall, they can generally point you in the right direction. Take advantage of the free services being offered.

Think about it this way, you're 21 now, if you live to be 80 then you've still got 59 years to work. haha! The one thing you WILL need is your eyesight.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM
skatss skatss is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 252
Default

Wearing one pair of contacts for over a year without taking them out seems a little dangerous to me. Weren't you afraid of getting some kind of infection? I wouldn't do that and try my best to take my contacts out whenever I can to give my eyes a rest.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
petern petern is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 78
Default

You are one lucky guy so far. The potential problems that can happen are too numerous to mention. However, at the top of the list are corneal ulcerations which can and will lead to permanent visional problems/blindness. If you can't afford the baggage that goes along with wearing contacts then switch to glasses until your financial situation improves. Wearing contacts that long will cause a bandage effect and you wont be able to "feel" if something is wrong. Please know that the question is not if you will have a problem but when.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 PM
paulette paulette is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Sophomore
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTracTurbo View Post
As the title says, I wore the same pair of contacts 24 hours a day for over a year. I think it has been 13 months and if I remember correcty I removed them 2 nights in that time. The contacts I wear are "Encore premium" (same as Frequency 55 aspheric).

I have never had a problem with my contacts. Ever since the first day I put them in at the doctors office, they have been very comfortable and I could forget there even there. I wear them all night without a problem and don't have dry eyes when I wake up. I have been wearing contacts for about 3 years and have never needed to use eye drops.

I only wore them that long b/c that was my last pair and I can't really afford to get another eye exam b/c i'm too lazy to get a job. I finally lost one of the contacts and i'm stuck with not being able to see. My vision isn't too bad though. The contacts I wear are -1.50

I keep reading articles and other people saying not to wear contacts overnight or for longer than prescribed b/c it can scratch your eyes and/or cause an infection.

I was just wondering if I did do damage to my eyes, would I be able to tell without seeing an eye doctor? I would imagine there would be symptoms and I would notice an infection, but what about scratches? They have been out since yesterday and my eyes feel completely normal.


[Disclaimer]I'm not advising anyone to wear their contacts longer than prescribed. Just sharing my experiance. Wear at your own risk.[/Disclaimer]
actually i wear contact lenses in my waking hours..since its not advisable to wear it when sleeping..since during the day it accumulates dust and the likes in our contact lenses ..i had a friend who had slept on it and the following day her eyes were red and itchy and when consulted her eyes were infected ..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
mgash mgash is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 147
Send a message via AIM to mgash Send a message via Yahoo to mgash
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
Aren't you supposed to have a valid prescription to order more contact lenses? I think that's required by law, isn't it?

The job thing may not be a bad idea either. I'm just sayin' . . .
If your OD doesn't reply within eight business hours, then the seller may ship the lenses. This is called passive approval. One time I wanted color lenses, so I went to a site that only asked for a Dr.'s fax number. I gave mine, and did not reply, of course, and the lenses were shipped.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Juniorgerbil Juniorgerbil is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgash View Post
If your OD doesn't reply within eight business hours, then the seller may ship the lenses. This is called passive approval. One time I wanted color lenses, so I went to a site that only asked for a Dr.'s fax number. I gave mine, and did not reply, of course, and the lenses were shipped.
I've heard that before and that's so lame. It's like your kid asking you if she can take the car. You don't answer, so should she take that as a "yes?" You send in a request to your boss for the next Tuesday off. If you don't get an answer back within eight business hours, do you just not show up on Tuesday?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
mgash mgash is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 147
Send a message via AIM to mgash Send a message via Yahoo to mgash
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorgerbil View Post
I've heard that before and that's so lame. It's like your kid asking you if she can take the car. You don't answer, so should she take that as a "yes?" You send in a request to your boss for the next Tuesday off. If you don't get an answer back within eight business hours, do you just not show up on Tuesday?
It does make a lot of sense if you understood the consumer abuses that used to be common in the industry. Docs would not give an Rx to their patient, tell them they had to buy contacts from them at high prices, and refuse to pass Rx info on the other sellers. The law requires the ECP to give you a written Rx, and if he chooses not to, or refuses to confirm your Rx, you can still buy from a source of your own choosing. Few people are going to make up a prescription out of the air and buy them. If my Doc gives me an Rx for example 14mm 8.4 BC for a given power Oasys, I have the right to buy it where I want. Yes, there can be improper adjustments. I could, for example, buy 14 mm 8.3 BC Acuvue 2 lenses. Although not legal, the risk is very limited, and probably they would fit well if the Doc prescribed them. Just remember, this law was intended to protect the consumer from unfair marketing practices, and not for medical evaluation. The law does clearly state that there cannot be any alteration to an Rx, unless the only difference is a private label name vs a manufacturer's label.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
3scompany 3scompany is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Default Balancing the Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgash View Post
It does make a lot of sense if you understood the consumer abuses that used to be common in the industry. Docs would not give an Rx to their patient, tell them they had to buy contacts from them at high prices, and refuse to pass Rx info on the other sellers. The law requires the ECP to give you a written Rx, and if he chooses not to, or refuses to confirm your Rx, you can still buy from a source of your own choosing. Few people are going to make up a prescription out of the air and buy them. If my Doc gives me an Rx for example 14mm 8.4 BC for a given power Oasys, I have the right to buy it where I want. Yes, there can be improper adjustments. I could, for example, buy 14 mm 8.3 BC Acuvue 2 lenses. Although not legal, the risk is very limited, and probably they would fit well if the Doc prescribed them. Just remember, this law was intended to protect the consumer from unfair marketing practices, and not for medical evaluation. The law does clearly state that there cannot be any alteration to an Rx, unless the only difference is a private label name vs a manufacturer's label.
Thanks for explaining that, mgash. I can understand where Juniorgerbil is coming from, but what you say makes sense, too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Stairwaytoheaven Stairwaytoheaven is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatss View Post
Wearing one pair of contacts for over a year without taking them out seems a little dangerous to me. Weren't you afraid of getting some kind of infection? I wouldn't do that and try my best to take my contacts out whenever I can to give my eyes a rest.
Wearing one pair of contact lenses for over a year is very dangerous, especially if you should only wear them for one day. The original claim was for Frequency 55 aspheric lenses, which are meant to be worn for 30 days then then discarded. A year is clearly way too long. Don't do that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 AM
kane93 kane93 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
f your OD doesn't reply within eight business hours, then the seller may ship the lenses. This is called passive approval. One time I wanted color lenses, so I went to a site that only asked for a Dr.'s fax number. I gave mine, and did not reply, of course, and the lenses were shipped.
Who did you order from?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Anazak Anazak is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 377
Default It's Risky to Begin With

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane93 View Post
Who did you order from?
You're not looking for a shortcut for ordering contact lenses, are you? When it comes to lenses that will actually be touching your eyes, you really need to be careful. Don't look for ways to make wearing contact lenses less safe.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
3scompany 3scompany is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgash View Post
If your OD doesn't reply within eight business hours, then the seller may ship the lenses. This is called passive approval. One time I wanted color lenses, so I went to a site that only asked for a Dr.'s fax number. I gave mine, and did not reply, of course, and the lenses were shipped.
Has anyone else heard of "passive approval" and can conform this ruling?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
LittleElvis LittleElvis is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default Not Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3scompany View Post
Has anyone else heard of "passive approval" and can conform this ruling?
I've never heard of it. It sounds dangerous.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
3scompany 3scompany is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleElvis View Post
I've never heard of it. It sounds dangerous.
Apparently, no one else has heard of it either. If they have, they haven't posted here yet.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
3scompany 3scompany is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorgerbil View Post
I've heard that before and that's so lame. It's like your kid asking you if she can take the car. You don't answer, so should she take that as a "yes?" You send in a request to your boss for the next Tuesday off. If you don't get an answer back within eight business hours, do you just not show up on Tuesday?
Thank you for those examples of "passive approval," Junior. It generally doesn't work that way in the real world, as you've shown.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
VAB VAB is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 710
Default Maybe It Helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anazak View Post
You're not looking for a shortcut for ordering contact lenses, are you? When it comes to lenses that will actually be touching your eyes, you really need to be careful. Don't look for ways to make wearing contact lenses less safe.
Well, we haven't heard back from kane93 so maybe your warning helped, Anazak.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
lurker2010 lurker2010 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 367
Default

Technically the rule is called "passive verification" not passive approval. The information posted by mgash is correct.

This is very old news. The Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act was passed in 2003. I think it took effect in 2004.

For the benefit of those posters who questioned the information provided by mgash, but didn't want to take the 5 seconds to check I've provided a link to the law.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:5:./temp/~c108w3k4EK::

I'm not sure if the link is "permanent". Just do a search for Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act and you'll find the actual law.

I'm not suggesting a person should wear contact lens for longer then suggested by their eye professional. I'm not suggesting people fake their script.

I do wish some posters would stop arguing with posters who take the time to actually post facts. Bogus analogies get tiring.

edited to add: from the forum sponsor
http://www.lens.com/common/faq/rxverif.asp

Federal Law requires us to verify all prescriptions with the appropriate eye care provider. This can happen in two ways, either you fax us a copy of your prescription or you can provide us with the name, phone number or fax number of the issuing authority and allow us to contact them and verify the validity and accuracy of your prescription information. Your eye care provider has 8 business hours to respond to our request for verification. During this time your order has a status of RXFaxed. If they do not respond within this time fram we will assume that your prescription is valid and your order will be processed and shipped.


FWIW I think the OP is somewhat of a troll. Although I suspect the OP gets more wear out of lenses then one would get following the mfg suggestions I'd be shocked if every claim in the OP regarding lens wear is 100% accurate.

Last edited by lurker2010; 06-07-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 AM
naturallygood naturallygood is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker2010 View Post
Technically the rule is called "passive verification" not passive approval. The information posted by mgash is correct.

This is very old news. The Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act was passed in 2003. I think it took effect in 2004.

For the benefit of those posters who questioned the information provided by mgash, but didn't want to take the 5 seconds to check I've provided a link to the law.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:5:./temp/~c108w3k4EK::

I'm not sure if the link is "permanent". Just do a search for Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act and you'll find the actual law.

I'm not suggesting a person should wear contact lens for longer then suggested by their eye professional. I'm not suggesting people fake their script.

I do wish some posters would stop arguing with posters who take the time to actually post facts. Bogus analogies get tiring.

edited to add: from the forum sponsor
http://www.lens.com/common/faq/rxverif.asp

Federal Law requires us to verify all prescriptions with the appropriate eye care provider. This can happen in two ways, either you fax us a copy of your prescription or you can provide us with the name, phone number or fax number of the issuing authority and allow us to contact them and verify the validity and accuracy of your prescription information. Your eye care provider has 8 business hours to respond to our request for verification. During this time your order has a status of RXFaxed. If they do not respond within this time fram we will assume that your prescription is valid and your order will be processed and shipped.


FWIW I think the OP is somewhat of a troll. Although I suspect the OP gets more wear out of lenses then one would get following the mfg suggestions I'd be shocked if every claim in the OP regarding lens wear is 100% accurate.
Thanks for providing us with the facts, Lurker2010. I checked the link you provided and it's all right there. Time "fram" and all.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM
LittleElvis LittleElvis is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker2010 View Post
Technically the rule is called "passive verification" not passive approval. The information posted by mgash is correct.

This is very old news. The Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act was passed in 2003. I think it took effect in 2004.

For the benefit of those posters who questioned the information provided by mgash, but didn't want to take the 5 seconds to check I've provided a link to the law.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:5:./temp/~c108w3k4EK::

I'm not sure if the link is "permanent". Just do a search for Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act and you'll find the actual law.

I'm not suggesting a person should wear contact lens for longer then suggested by their eye professional. I'm not suggesting people fake their script.

I do wish some posters would stop arguing with posters who take the time to actually post facts. Bogus analogies get tiring.

edited to add: from the forum sponsor
http://www.lens.com/common/faq/rxverif.asp

Federal Law requires us to verify all prescriptions with the appropriate eye care provider. This can happen in two ways, either you fax us a copy of your prescription or you can provide us with the name, phone number or fax number of the issuing authority and allow us to contact them and verify the validity and accuracy of your prescription information. Your eye care provider has 8 business hours to respond to our request for verification. During this time your order has a status of RXFaxed. If they do not respond within this time fram we will assume that your prescription is valid and your order will be processed and shipped.


FWIW I think the OP is somewhat of a troll. Although I suspect the OP gets more wear out of lenses then one would get following the mfg suggestions I'd be shocked if every claim in the OP regarding lens wear is 100% accurate.
Thanks for that good information, lurker2010.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
HorseLuvr HorseLuvr is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallygood View Post
Thanks for providing us with the facts, Lurker2010. I checked the link you provided and it's all right there. Time "fram" and all.
Did it take more than five seconds to look it up, naturallygood? Lurker2010 said "For the benefit of those posters who questioned the information provided by mgash, but didn't want to take the 5 seconds to check . . . "
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Stairwaytoheaven Stairwaytoheaven is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default The Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
Did it take more than five seconds to look it up, naturallygood? Lurker2010 said "For the benefit of those posters who questioned the information provided by mgash, but didn't want to take the 5 seconds to check . . . "
The link provided by Lurker2010 at thomas.loc.gov is no longer valid, so I looked up the Act in Wikipedia, and here's part of what it said:

Under the Rule issued by the FTC [Federal Trade Commission], contact lens prescribers - defined as anyone permitted under state law to issue prescriptions for contact lenses, which include ophthalmologists, optometrists, and licensed opticians who are permitted under state law to fit contact lenses (sometimes called dispensing opticians) must give a copy of the contact lens prescription to the patient at the end of the contact lens fitting, even if the patient doesn't ask for it. Prescribers must also provide or verify the contact lens prescription to anyone who designated to act on behalf of the patient, including contact lens sellers. Prescribers are also barred from requiring patients to buy contact lenses, pay additional fees, sign waivers or releases in exchange for a copy of their prescription, or disclaim liability or responsibility for the accuracy of an eye examination.--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_to_Contact_Lens_Consumers_Act

Any questions?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Stairwaytoheaven Stairwaytoheaven is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairwaytoheaven View Post
The link provided by Lurker2010 at thomas.loc.gov is no longer valid, so I looked up the Act in Wikipedia, and here's part of what it said:

Oh yeah, and it took a bit more that five seconds. Just in case you were wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM
lurker2010 lurker2010 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 367
Default

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fairness+to+Contact+Lens+Consumers+Act+

How long depends on fast you can type and how fast your internet connection is.

5 seconds is a figure of speech. Copy that URL. It took 10 seconds on my computer to get results.

It took 8 seconds from the time I started to type fairness to contact lens consumers act to the time the google results appeared.

My point is several posters in this thread attacked the credibility of the poster who took the time to post valid information instead of taking the short amount of time it would have taken to verify the information.

I got the information in 8 seconds. A slower typist might have taken 30 seconds. Does it matter?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
LeeRoberts LeeRoberts is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 645
Default Look on the Bright Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker2010 View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fairness+to+Contact+Lens+Consumers+Act+

How long depends on fast you can type and how fast your internet connection is.

5 seconds is a figure of speech. Copy that URL. It took 10 seconds on my computer to get results.

It took 8 seconds from the time I started to type fairness to contact lens consumers act to the time the google results appeared.

My point is several posters in this thread attacked the credibility of the poster who took the time to post valid information instead of taking the short amount of time it would have taken to verify the information.

I got the information in 8 seconds. A slower typist might have taken 30 seconds. Does it matter?
I think Stairway was just having a bit of a laugh. Perhaps you should focus on the fact that naturallygood has checked and verified the information you provided.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
LittleElvis LittleElvis is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker2010 View Post
My point is several posters in this thread attacked the credibility of the poster who took the time to post valid information instead of taking the short amount of time it would have taken to verify the information.
Are you referring to mgash and the passive approval thing in post #13 up there?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
VAB VAB is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 710
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairwaytoheaven View Post
The link provided by Lurker2010 at thomas.loc.gov is no longer valid, so I looked up the Act in Wikipedia, and here's part of what it said:

Under the Rule issued by the FTC [Federal Trade Commission], contact lens prescribers - defined as anyone permitted under state law to issue prescriptions for contact lenses, which include ophthalmologists, optometrists, and licensed opticians who are permitted under state law to fit contact lenses (sometimes called dispensing opticians) must give a copy of the contact lens prescription to the patient at the end of the contact lens fitting, even if the patient doesn't ask for it. Prescribers must also provide or verify the contact lens prescription to anyone who designated to act on behalf of the patient, including contact lens sellers. Prescribers are also barred from requiring patients to buy contact lenses, pay additional fees, sign waivers or releases in exchange for a copy of their prescription, or disclaim liability or responsibility for the accuracy of an eye examination.--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_to_Contact_Lens_Consumers_Act

Any questions?
Thanks for spelling it out for us, Wikipedia and Stairwaytoheaven.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Stairwaytoheaven Stairwaytoheaven is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAB View Post
Thanks for spelling it out for us, Wikipedia and Stairwaytoheaven.
No problem, VAB. I'm always glad to help out.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Rhodes95 Rhodes95 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Default

Back to the original topic. I was young once too and "invincible" as well. I did almost the same thing as you did, however I only wore mine for 6 months straight because I set up an infection and had to go to the eye doc to have it cleared up, I couldn't even have my eyes dialated or the pressure checked because my eye hurt soooo bad. After the infection cleared up, I put a new pair of contacts in and didn't remove them for another 6 months or so because I was too stupid to have learned the first time. At the next eye exam I learned I had a case of neovascularization-the way the doc explained it to me is your eye needs oxygen (imagine that ) and when it can't get oxygen your blood vessels in your eye will start growing outside of the contact lens. Long story short, I begged them to give me one more chance "I promise I will take them out every night and do what I am suppose to" and they agreed on a 3 month trial to let me wear contacts and if I done good, I could continue otherwise they would only prescribe me glasses. So, I started taking out my contacts every night and realized a few things. For some reason, I guess my eyes adjusted to lack of oxygen, because like he said, they were never uncomfortable or hurt or anything UNTIL I removed them, then it stung and hurt like crazy (the doctor said this was a reaction to the eye actually getting oxygen after a long time of it being deprived). Needless to say I hate wearing glasses and that threat of not allowing me to wear contacts again worked on me. I am proud to say I am older and wiser now and have only slept in my contacts two times in 8 years. Please don't take the chance with your eyes. I know I've been there and I know how easy it is to just not care, but trust me you will care as you get older and realize the things that can happen.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Type40 Type40 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes95 View Post
Back to the original topic. I was young once too and "invincible" as well. I did almost the same thing as you did, however I only wore mine for 6 months straight because I set up an infection and had to go to the eye doc to have it cleared up, I couldn't even have my eyes dialated or the pressure checked because my eye hurt soooo bad. After the infection cleared up, I put a new pair of contacts in and didn't remove them for another 6 months or so because I was too stupid to have learned the first time. At the next eye exam I learned I had a case of neovascularization-the way the doc explained it to me is your eye needs oxygen (imagine that ) and when it can't get oxygen your blood vessels in your eye will start growing outside of the contact lens. Long story short, I begged them to give me one more chance "I promise I will take them out every night and do what I am suppose to" and they agreed on a 3 month trial to let me wear contacts and if I done good, I could continue otherwise they would only prescribe me glasses. So, I started taking out my contacts every night and realized a few things. For some reason, I guess my eyes adjusted to lack of oxygen, because like he said, they were never uncomfortable or hurt or anything UNTIL I removed them, then it stung and hurt like crazy (the doctor said this was a reaction to the eye actually getting oxygen after a long time of it being deprived). Needless to say I hate wearing glasses and that threat of not allowing me to wear contacts again worked on me. I am proud to say I am older and wiser now and have only slept in my contacts two times in 8 years. Please don't take the chance with your eyes. I know I've been there and I know how easy it is to just not care, but trust me you will care as you get older and realize the things that can happen.
Finally. Someone who can relate from personal experience about why you should take out your contact lenses when you're told to. I'm sorry you had to suffer so much, Rhodes95, but hopefully people can learn from your mistake before they have to suffer themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
3scompany 3scompany is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes95 View Post
Please don't take the chance with your eyes. I know I've been there and I know how easy it is to just not care, but trust me you will care as you get older and realize the things that can happen.
Thanks for getting back to the original topic and speaking so powerfully against over-wearing of contact lenses.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
LittleElvis LittleElvis is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Masters Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes95 View Post
Back to the original topic. I was young once too and "invincible" as well. I did almost the same thing as you did, however I only wore mine for 6 months straight because I set up an infection and had to go to the eye doc to have it cleared up, I couldn't even have my eyes dilated or the pressure checked because my eye hurt soooo bad.
Wow. That's really too bad. I hope people on this site learn the lesson that you learned so painfully.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
wasiqi wasiqi is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Talking everybody is differant including the eyes

this is no lie, i have 2 week contacts (o2 optix) they are over 3 years old, i take them out when my eyes bother me. i sleep with them and clean them with that hydrogen peroxicide solution, when i do take them out my eyes dont hurt and i try to give them a day or 2 or rest before reinserting my contacts...i bought the o2 optix because they give more oxygen to your eyes...i went to the eye doctor to see whats up with them and they have not degenerated i do plan on getting more contacts but id like to say, it depends on the contacts your eye chemistry and other factors..im no doctor and i dont reccomend doing this however you know your body better than anyone, vison is good im near sighted when i take them out things are a little blurry but not too bad, i want to go to the eye doctor after i get my contacts and tell him what i just told yall
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
EV123 EV123 is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 18
Default

I had a friend who got an eye infection from leaving her contacts in for too long. In my opinion, you would know. At least she did. If possible, you should get them checked out, just in case. A lot of times, people show no signs and symptoms of an ailment, but that doesn't mean nothing is wrong. Only time will tell I suppose.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
3scompany 3scompany is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Senior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasiqi View Post
this is no lie, i have 2 week contacts (o2 optix) they are over 3 years old, i take them out when my eyes bother me. i sleep with them and clean them with that hydrogen peroxicide solution, when i do take them out my eyes dont hurt and i try to give them a day or 2 or rest before reinserting my contacts...i bought the o2 optix because they give more oxygen to your eyes...i went to the eye doctor to see whats up with them and they have not degenerated i do plan on getting more contacts but id like to say, it depends on the contacts your eye chemistry and other factors..im no doctor and i dont reccomend doing this however you know your body better than anyone, vison is good im near sighted when i take them out things are a little blurry but not too bad, i want to go to the eye doctor after i get my contacts and tell him what i just told yall
You're either not telling us the truth or you're some kind of freak of nature. How often do you take the lenses out because your eye start "bothering you" and how long do you leave them out each time?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM
apfel apfel is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 36
Default

tell me why would u do such thing?why would u not take them off for a night?this makes little sense,u know that prolonged wear of contact lenses may actually develop a dry eye?even if u havent got one.how old are you?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
luvbostonxo2's luvbostonxo2's is offline
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleElvis View Post
See, that's the thing. Lots of people wear contact lenses for longer than they are supposed to because it feels okay, even though damage is being done. How many people have gone in for a routine medical exam feeling great, only to be immediately hospitalized for some serious condition that was diagnosed "just in time"?

If you haven't done so already, please see your eye care professional. I hope your eyes are okay, but only a trained professional can tell you for sure. Keep us posted.
Agreed...your lenses are only meant to be worn daily.taken out each night.cleaned and disinfected overnight before wearing again the next morning.i am shocked that your eyes are ok perhaps your one of those rare people that can wear daily lenses a long time. Only silicone hydrogel leases are approved for overnight wear and then there are people that may only tolerate a few days wear before removal foe cleaning or a rest period.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.