Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101
SITE SPONSOR
contact lenses

Go Back   Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 > Contact Lens Forums > Daily Disposable Contact Lenses > SofLens Daily Disposable
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SofLens Daily Disposable Ask a question about SofLens Daily Disposable, start a discussion about SofLens Daily Disposable, share your opinion about SofLens Daily Disposable, or write an online review and share your experience with SofLens Daily Disposable contact lenses.


Join Lens 101Welcome to the Contact Lenses Forum - Lens 101 forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

old bausch & lomb and new bausch & lomb daily disposable lenses

This is a discussion on old bausch & lomb and new bausch & lomb daily disposable lenses within the SofLens Daily Disposable forums; Hello guys, I wear Bausch & lomb soflens (hilafilcon A) one day disposable lenses without ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Site Sponsor
Since 1995, Lens.com has provided all types and brands of contacts,including the popular SofLens Daily Disposable contacts, Daily Disposable Contact Lenses manufactured by Bausch & Lomb, at 70% OFF retail. Buy with confidence as Lens.com offers the exact same contact lenses prescribed by your eye doctor delivered to you for less!
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default old bausch & lomb and new bausch & lomb daily disposable lenses

Hello guys,

I wear Bausch & lomb soflens (hilafilcon A) one day disposable lenses without any problem.

Bausch & lomb has stopped the production of these lenses to replace them with a new version that is:

Bausch & lomb soflens daily disposable (hilafilcon B) with Aspheric optics.

Today i received a trial version of the new version and noticed that there is a blurry/hazzy vision at the extreme outer corners of both my eyes when i wear them.

the old and new lenses both have a power of -0.75 with a diameter of 14.2mm and BC of 8.6mm

has anyone had the same problem?
Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Rick
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky84 View Post
Hello guys,

I wear Bausch & lomb soflens (hilafilcon A) one day disposable lenses without any problem.

Bausch & lomb has stopped the production of these lenses to replace them with a new version that is:

Bausch & lomb soflens daily disposable (hilafilcon B) with Aspheric optics.

Today i received a trial version of the new version and noticed that there is a blurry/hazzy vision at the extreme outer corners of both my eyes when i wear them.

the old and new lenses both have a power of -0.75 with a diameter of 14.2mm and BC of 8.6mm

has anyone had the same problem?
Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Rick
Hi

I normally wear Coopervision Omni (yearly lens) but tried the Bausch & Lomb daily disposable Hilafilcon B with the aspheric optics. (I tore an Omni while on holiday in Madeira last October and I bought the dailies to get by).

I did not have any problem with the Bausch & Lomb daily lenses regarding misting. In fact as an experiment I tried wearing the same pair of lenses for a number of weeks to see how long they lasted - will probably get shot to pieces for saying that. Of course I sterilised them with peroxide overnight but had no problems with them.

Not sure, but I would have thought most contact lenses these days would be aspheric to give better fit/comfort.

I have just switched to a monthly Coopervision Biofinity type lens (opticians here in Germany up to the same tricks as others in the UK with their own 'special' brand) but I am waiting for a pair of Biofinity lenses to be delivered. The Biofinity lenses have very high oxygen permeability especially compared to the daily Bausch & Lomb ones so better for the eyes.

Sorry, no suggestions re the haziness - are the lenses clear when you look at them before putting them into your eyes and how long does it take before the haziness develops?

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 442
Default You Did WHAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Hi

I did not have any problem with the Bausch & Lomb daily lenses regarding misting. In fact as an experiment I tried wearing the same pair of lenses for a number of weeks to see how long they lasted - will probably get shot to pieces for saying that. Of course I sterilised them with peroxide overnight but had no problems with them.
Okay, here I am to shoot you to pieces. Why, in the name of all that's optical, would you wear daily contact lenses for "a number of weeks"? Doesn't the word "daily" give you a clue? How did you decide it was finally time to stop wearing that same pair of contacts? Did they disintegrate when you tried to put them in one more time?

Okay so maybe some people might wear their Daily Disposable Contact Lenses for two days, maybe three, but weeks? What were you trying to prove? The reason daily disposable contacts must not be worn more than once is due to a number of factors, it's not just a matter of keeping them clean.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy94 View Post
Okay, here I am to shoot you to pieces. Why, in the name of all that's optical, would you wear daily contact lenses for "a number of weeks"? Doesn't the word "daily" give you a clue? How did you decide it was finally time to stop wearing that same pair of contacts? Did they disintegrate when you tried to put them in one more time?

Okay so maybe some people might wear their daily disposable contact lenses for two days, maybe three, but weeks? What were you trying to prove? The reason daily disposable contacts must not be worn more than once is due to a number of factors, it's not just a matter of keeping them clean.
Hello Wendy94

OK, tin hat on!

I only wore this one pair to see how long they would last. As it happened they were still fine when I threw them away. I would expect that a daily lens being thin would probably fall apart after 1-3 days, but I don't wear Dailies except in emergency or rarely if the optician asks me to try them.

Yes, I know they are DAILY lenses (I can read) but I have yet to receive a sensible reason as to why I shouldn't wear such a lens longer than a day (sterilizing at night) and then reinserting again the next day. After all, I'm going to put the same lens material back in the next day if I follow the rules and infection should not (in my view/experience) be a high risk with proper peroxide sterilisation. No dirt accumulation or haze or discomfort in my case.

Let's look at the material of the lens. Coopervision Soflens Daily Disposable - Hilafilcon B. Coopervision Monthly Soflens 59 - Hilifilcon B. i.e. same material. So the material seems to be OK for wearing up to a month. i.e. I did Risk Assess this trial before starting.

I have asked a number of opticians and eye doctors why not, but answers are not forthcoming, apart from 'because you just shouldn't' or more usually 'That's what the manufacturers recommend'). I would be happy to hear what some of the other 'number of factors' against wearing a Daily lens more than one day are, from you.

I realise people wear Daily lenses for a number of reasons - including frequently loosing lenses during swimming/water sports, infrequent wearing of lenses, environmental conditions, infections/dirt from makeup, etc. or just convenience/don't want to bother or cannot clean their lenses properly, especially in travelling.

I do have my eyes checked at the optician regularly and I normally wear an Omniflex lens for a year or so, although I have gone to a new optician/country and have been persuaded to try the monthly Biofinity (comfilcon) high oxygen permeability lenses (because that does make good scientific sense). As the eye doctor said, 'the best (technology) lenses are only just good enough to prevent longer term eye damage'

OK, so I have a routine that works for me (over 30+ years) and perhaps my eyes are not super-sensitive, but I am an engineer, so tend to be curious about manufacturers claims.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Hello Wendy94

OK, tin hat on!

I only wore this one pair to see how long they would last. As it happened they were still fine when I threw them away. I would expect that a daily lens being thin would probably fall apart after 1-3 days, but I don't wear Dailies except in emergency or rarely if the optician asks me to try them.

Yes, I know they are DAILY lenses (I can read) but I have yet to receive a sensible reason as to why I shouldn't wear such a lens longer than a day (sterilizing at night) and then reinserting again the next day. After all, I'm going to put the same lens material back in the next day if I follow the rules and infection should not (in my view/experience) be a high risk with proper peroxide sterilisation. No dirt accumulation or haze or discomfort in my case.

Let's look at the material of the lens. Coopervision Soflens Daily Disposable - Hilafilcon B. Coopervision Monthly Soflens 59 - Hilifilcon B. i.e. same material. So the material seems to be OK for wearing up to a month. i.e. I did Risk Assess this trial before starting.

I have asked a number of opticians and eye doctors why not, but answers are not forthcoming, apart from 'because you just shouldn't' or more usually 'That's what the manufacturers recommend'). I would be happy to hear what some of the other 'number of factors' against wearing a Daily lens more than one day are, from you.

I realise people wear Daily lenses for a number of reasons - including frequently loosing lenses during swimming/water sports, infrequent wearing of lenses, environmental conditions, infections/dirt from makeup, etc. or just convenience/don't want to bother or cannot clean their lenses properly, especially in travelling.

I do have my eyes checked at the optician regularly and I normally wear an Omniflex lens for a year or so, although I have gone to a new optician/country and have been persuaded to try the monthly Biofinity (comfilcon) high oxygen permeability lenses (because that does make good scientific sense). As the eye doctor said, 'the best (technology) lenses are only just good enough to prevent longer term eye damage'

OK, so I have a routine that works for me (over 30+ years) and perhaps my eyes are not super-sensitive, but I am an engineer, so tend to be curious about manufacturers claims.

knotlob
I read this posting, and I fail to understand why a person as apparently well-educated as yourself would defend the practice of wearing daily disposable contact lenses for weeks.
I remembered reading an excellent post about the dangers of sleeping in daily disposable contact lenses overnight. It explained all the hazards so clearly that I thought it was finally might put this whole business to rest. So I searched for the post and I found it. Guess who wrote it?

"Knotlob."

Either you're contradicting yourself, or someone has stolen your screen name.

Here's the thread: http://www.lens101.com/general-eye-health/21755-if-you-dont-stop-youll-go-blind.html

Here's part of the posting: "The cornea is a living tissue and requires oxygen. If the cornea is deprived of oxygen, by for example, wearing lenses which don't float properly on the eye to allow the tear film to move, or are just not permeable enough for the wearing time, then the cornea must get oxygen from somewhere else. If this is not possible the cornea eye tissue may die. Normally the eye will develop new capillaries in the conjunctiva (white of the eye) and then into the cornea of the eye. These corneal capillaries will impair vision. The wearer will not feel this happening and sometimes it is difficult to recognise a slow deterioration in eyesight.

Lack of corneal oxygen mainly through sleeping in lenses not designed for this wear regime can cause the cornea to swell and become hazy. Lenses must not be worn until the eye recovers with medical help. This condition is of course obvious to the wearer."


What's going on here?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddikitty View Post
I read this posting, and I fail to understand why a person as apparently well-educated as yourself would defend the practice of wearing daily disposable contact lenses for weeks.
I remembered reading an excellent post about the dangers of sleeping in daily disposable contact lenses overnight. It explained all the hazards so clearly that I thought it was finally might put this whole business to rest. So I searched for the post and I found it. Guess who wrote it?

"Knotlob."

Either you're contradicting yourself, or someone has stolen your screen name.

Here's the thread: http://www.lens101.com/general-eye-health/21755-if-you-dont-stop-youll-go-blind.html

Here's part of the posting: "The cornea is a living tissue and requires oxygen. If the cornea is deprived of oxygen, by for example, wearing lenses which don't float properly on the eye to allow the tear film to move, or are just not permeable enough for the wearing time, then the cornea must get oxygen from somewhere else. If this is not possible the cornea eye tissue may die. Normally the eye will develop new capillaries in the conjunctiva (white of the eye) and then into the cornea of the eye. These corneal capillaries will impair vision. The wearer will not feel this happening and sometimes it is difficult to recognise a slow deterioration in eyesight.

Lack of corneal oxygen mainly through sleeping in lenses not designed for this wear regime can cause the cornea to swell and become hazy. Lenses must not be worn until the eye recovers with medical help. This condition is of course obvious to the wearer."


What's going on here?
Hello TeddiKitty

Yes, I remember my post. No ID theft!

There are two issues here, which would be classified as contact lens abuse.

One is wearing the lens too long (i.e. too many hours/day).

The other (quite different, in my opinion) is wearing the same lens longer than the manufacturer recommends.

My post on eye damage was primarily based on the damage to eyes caused by wearing a low oxygen permeability lens too many hours and especially so, if that includes sleeping, which I think is naturally a low oxygen regime in the eye, caused by closed eyelids. No question of that. I have never deliberately worn lenses over-long and even though I have now switched to Biofinity, which in theory, I could wear continuously for a month. I have no intention of doing so. I don't think the potential risks are worthwhile, when I can remove them at night.

The second form of Contact Lens abuse, to which you are referring in my post, when I tried a Bausch & Lomb Daily Disposable for 'weeks' is a different issue. I don't use dailies normally and if I did, I would not be wearing them beyond the recommended time. I wore the daily lens as a test and sterilised the lens each night with peroxide, as I would do for a yearly lens (which I normally wore). The Bausch & Lomb lens I tried was made of the same lens material (hilafilcon B) as the Bausch & Lomb Monthly lens. It may have been thinner than the monthly, so the oxygen permeability Dk/t would probably have been higher than for the monthly - but I have no published data on that

When I put my lenses in each morning, I always check for deposits/foreign material on the lens and in this case there was never any build up. I had no irritation whatsoever and I would recognise if something was going wrong, I believe, as I have worn lenses for about 35 years. Biological infection too is unlikely when the lens and case are sterilised for several hours in peroxide solution each night.

No optician, nor anyone else, has given me a proper scientific/medical reason (and I don't mean 'just because you shouldn't', or 'because the manufacturers says so') as to why I should not wear the lens like this. I know and accept that it is against the manufacturer's recommendation. It was a test and I do know how that particular lens performs. I certainly don't advocate anyone should follow my example. It worked for me - but everyone is different. As I said, I have now switched to Biofinity Monthly disposables, but I don't plan on wearing these lenses longer than their recommended life.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 533
Default No Funny Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Hello TeddiKitty

Yes, I remember my post. No ID theft!

There are two issues here, which would be classified as Contact Lens abuse.

One is wearing the lens too long (i.e. too many hours/day).

The other (quite different, in my opinion) is wearing the same lens longer than the manufacturer recommends.

My post on eye damage was primarily based on the damage to eyes caused by wearing a low oxygen permeability lens too many hours and especially so, if that includes sleeping, which I think is naturally a low oxygen regime in the eye, caused by closed eyelids. No question of that. I have never deliberately worn lenses over-long and even though I have now switched to Biofinity, which in theory, I could wear continuously for a month. I have no intention of doing so. I don't think the potential risks are worthwhile, when I can remove them at night.

The second form of Contact Lens abuse, to which you are referring in my post, when I tried a Bausch & Lomb Daily Disposable for 'weeks' is a different issue. I don't use dailies normally and if I did, I would not be wearing them beyond the recommended time. I wore the daily lens as a test and sterilised the lens each night with peroxide, as I would do for a yearly lens (which I normally wore). The Bausch & Lomb lens I tried was made of the same lens material (hilafilcon B) as the Bausch & Lomb Monthly lens. It may have been thinner than the monthly, so the oxygen permeability Dk/t would probably have been higher than for the monthly - but I have no published data on that

When I put my lenses in each morning, I always check for deposits/foreign material on the lens and in this case there was never any build up. I had no irritation whatsoever and I would recognise if something was going wrong, I believe, as I have worn lenses for about 35 years. Biological infection too is unlikely when the lens and case are sterilised for several hours in peroxide solution each night.

No optician, nor anyone else, has given me a proper scientific/medical reason (and I don't mean 'just because you shouldn't', or 'because the manufacturers says so') as to why I should not wear the lens like this. I know and accept that it is against the manufacturer's recommendation. It was a test and I do know how that particular lens performs. I certainly don't advocate anyone should follow my example. It worked for me - but everyone is different. As I said, I have now switched to Biofinity Monthly disposables, but I don't plan on wearing these lenses longer than their recommended life.

knotlob
I think I understand what you're trying to say. My concern is that someone will come along and read this post and not pay attention to your disclaimer at the end saying "I certainly don't advocate anyone should follow my example."

If we were having a private conversation, I would say "As long as it works for you, fine." But since we're on a public forum, I want to make sure that no one gets any funny ideas, you know what I'm saying?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddikitty View Post
I think I understand what you're trying to say. My concern is that someone will come along and read this post and not pay attention to your disclaimer at the end saying "I certainly don't advocate anyone should follow my example."

If we were having a private conversation, I would say "As long as it works for you, fine." But since we're on a public forum, I want to make sure that no one gets any funny ideas, you know what I'm saying?
Hi TeddiKitty

Yes, your point is absolutely valid. We don't know every person on the forum and even non-members may browse, so it is possible for any comment/post made on such forums to be misinterpreted, with possibly serious effects.

One reason that Contact Lens manufacturers don't want users to wear the Dailies more than one day is that some who choose to wear Dailies, do so for the convenience of not having to carry solutions and are not familiar with the importance of sterilizing lenses which are to re reinserted into the eye the next day, etc.

Obviously, if such a user decides to put a used Daily Lens back in his/her eye the next day using the solution in which the lens was packaged, then that would be a recipe for disaster and infections.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 443
Default Funny Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Hi TeddiKitty

Yes, your point is absolutely valid. We don't know every person on the forum and even non-members may browse, so it is possible for any comment/post made on such forums to be misinterpreted, with possibly serious effects.

One reason that Contact Lens manufacturers don't want users to wear the Dailies more than one day is that some who choose to wear Dailies, do so for the convenience of not having to carry solutions and are not familiar with the importance of sterilizing lenses which are to re reinserted into the eye the next day, etc.

Obviously, if such a user decides to put a used Daily Lens back in his/her eye the next day using the solution in which the lens was packaged, then that would be a recipe for disaster and infections.

knotlob
A very good post, knotlob.

When I read the posts written here on Lens 101, I get the impression that this site is populated by people of reasonable intelligence and even pretty decent spelling ability.
However, I've seen other sites that seem to be inhabited by some real numbskulls. You never know who might surf in and look around and, as Teddikitty said, get some "funny ideas."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT View Post
A very good post, knotlob.

When I read the posts written here on Lens 101, I get the impression that this site is populated by people of reasonable intelligence and even pretty decent spelling ability.
However, I've seen other sites that seem to be inhabited by some real numbskulls. You never know who might surf in and look around and, as Teddikitty said, get some "funny ideas."
Hello Kitt

Yes, indeed! It is rather frightening the impression one gets from some other forums. Teddikitty's and your points are very true and well made.

knotlob
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 533
Default Squee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT View Post
A very good post, knotlob.

When I read the posts written here on Lens 101, I get the impression that this site is populated by people of reasonable intelligence and even pretty decent spelling ability.
However, I've seen other sites that seem to be inhabited by some real numbskulls. You never know who might surf in and look around and, as Teddikitty said, get some "funny ideas."
*Gasp* I've been quoted by Knotlob!

My life is complete.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Bachelors Degree
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 443
Default Pick Me! Pick Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddikitty View Post
*Gasp* I've been quoted by Knotlob!

My life is complete.
I'm sooo jealous!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotlob View Post
Hello Wendy94

OK, tin hat on!

I only wore this one pair to see how long they would last. As it happened they were still fine when I threw them away. I would expect that a daily lens being thin would probably fall apart after 1-3 days, but I don't wear Dailies except in emergency or rarely if the optician asks me to try them.

Yes, I know they are DAILY lenses (I can read) but I have yet to receive a sensible reason as to why I shouldn't wear such a lens longer than a day (sterilizing at night) and then reinserting again the next day. After all, I'm going to put the same lens material back in the next day if I follow the rules and infection should not (in my view/experience) be a high risk with proper peroxide sterilisation. No dirt accumulation or haze or discomfort in my case.

Let's look at the material of the lens. Coopervision Soflens Daily Disposable - Hilafilcon B. Coopervision Monthly Soflens 59 - Hilifilcon B. i.e. same material. So the material seems to be OK for wearing up to a month. i.e. I did Risk Assess this trial before starting.

I have asked a number of opticians and eye doctors why not, but answers are not forthcoming, apart from 'because you just shouldn't' or more usually 'That's what the manufacturers recommend'). I would be happy to hear what some of the other 'number of factors' against wearing a Daily lens more than one day are, from you.

I realise people wear Daily lenses for a number of reasons - including frequently loosing lenses during swimming/water sports, infrequent wearing of lenses, environmental conditions, infections/dirt from makeup, etc. or just convenience/don't want to bother or cannot clean their lenses properly, especially in travelling.

I do have my eyes checked at the optician regularly and I normally wear an Omniflex lens for a year or so, although I have gone to a new optician/country and have been persuaded to try the monthly Biofinity (comfilcon) high oxygen permeability lenses (because that does make good scientific sense). As the eye doctor said, 'the best (technology) lenses are only just good enough to prevent longer term eye damage'

OK, so I have a routine that works for me (over 30+ years) and perhaps my eyes are not super-sensitive, but I am an engineer, so tend to be curious about manufacturers claims.

knotlob
Hello Knotlob and everyone,

As I was searching the Internet for information on Hilafilcon A, I found your forum and that post specifically, which gives rise to serious issues and questions. So, I decided to add the few things I know on the topic.

First of all, reasons like "daily disposables are for daily use because the manufacturer says so" and " this is what you should do" are not convincing and totally unacceptable, as knotlob have mentioned correctly. I can't accept similar phrases, too, from professionals (opticians/optometrists) who are supposed to justify their saying. However, that doesn't mean that we should drive ourselves to the other edge believing that something, that can't be justified wrong, is totally right. Therefore, the need to search for information from other sources, including the Internet, is essential.

Daily disposables, or so-called "enhanced lenses", are an interesting type of lenses that is very convenient for many wearers "for a number of reasons - including frequently loosing lenses during swimming/water sports, infrequent wearing of lenses, environmental conditions, infections/dirt from makeup, etc. or just convenience/don't want to bother or cannot clean their lenses properly, especially in travelling", as knotlob correctly said. Their main advantage is the use of macromolecules which attract denatured/"bad" proteins and increase comfort and wettability. More specifically, BnL Daily Disposables use Tetronic in Hilafilcon B, which decreases coefficient of friction (resistance of two surfaces sliding against each other - cornea/lid).

However, Tetronic progressively reduces during wear (Ross et al. 2007). What is more, they lack other factors with anti-bacterial properties because of the fact that they are to be used for one day only. Knotlob used a peroxide solution, which has the greatest antibacterial results. But, every solution (peroxide included) removes depositions and kills bacteria attached to the lens surface. What's happening with bacteria while wearing the contact lens?

Cornea is one of the most effective mechanisms of human body, providing a strong barrier against foreign microorganisms. One of the best defensive mechanisms is the tear film, which is renewed in every blink. However, when we wear a contact lens bacteria can be trapped underneath the lens, where the tear film mechanism is useless. What is more, cornea is cooler than the overall human temperature making it hard for bacteria to "grab" on it. That changes while wearing a contact lens.

So, wearing a daily lens, which has obviously lost all of its antibacterial properties after several days of use is not the best idea ever. The incidence of Microbial Keratitis in soft daily lenses is extremely low, about 0.5% (Stapleton 2008). However, severe forms can result in loss of 2 lines of visual acuity (eye examination charts) and extremely severe forms can lead to loss of corneal transparency and, therefore, corneal transplantation. Does it worth it to take the risk?

This post is made by (probably) the worst contact lens wearer in the world ; sleeping with contact lenses (although I'm using SiliconeHydrogels the last 2 years ), swimming at pool/sea with contact lenses etc. However, in my opinion, it is even worse to experiment with things e.g. extending our contact lens wearing more than what is advised, without knowing the consequences. I use my monthly contact lenses for more than a month, but I know the risk I'm taking, if there is any.

One last thing: the contact lens industry is huge; everyone wants a piece from the pie. Contact lens customers are often confused and manipulated for the sake of merchandising. Thus, it's very important to get informed for things that really matter, such as the health of our eyes, from various sources, including the Internet and contact lens specialists.

PS: This is the one and only post I've read in your forum. Considering that this post is quite old (2009), my apologies if the above issues have been solved in another post!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,381
Default

Sometimes when manufacturers make aspheric lenses it may but not always reduce slightly the optical zone of the lens. This issue is rare but it can be an issue with someone with larger pupils. Cibavision dailies aquacomfort will fit the same.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Ph.D.
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,381
Default

Also proclear one day.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Contact Lenses Forum - Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Yes, indeed! It is rather terrifying the impact one gets from some other boards.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark This Site
Add a link on your site or blog
SofLens Daily Disposable Contact Lenses Ask a question about SofLens Daily Disposable Contact Lenses, start a discussion, share your opinion, or write an online review and share your experience with SofLens Daily Disposable Contact Lenses contact lenses.

Copy and Paste HTML Below:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Contact Lenses

/ Contact Lens Forums
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 2
1-2 Week Disposable Contact Lenses
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
Color Contact Lenses 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gas Permeable Contact Lenses 2 3
Toric Contact Lenses 2 3
Bifocal Contact Lenses 2
Vial Contact Lenses
Other Contact Lenses 2 3, & Contact Lens Care 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2001 - 2010 eyeTopics.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Any materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only. Have your eyes examined regularly and always follow your eye care professional's instructions for the proper use and care of your contact lenses. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY UNEXPLAINED EYE DISCOMFORT, WATERING, VISION CHANGE OR REDNESS, REMOVE YOUR LENSES IMMEDIATELY AND CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE WEARING YOUR CONTACT LENSES AGAIN.

Site operated by eyeTopics.com, Inc.